Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Feb 18, 2005, 5:53 AM   #1

Hi

Has anyone used the WM-E80 Wide Angle Converter on their 8800?

Is there any compromise in image quality and are there any downsides?

Any input much appreciated.

Bruce
brucegarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2005, 7:45 AM   #2

Finally managed to find a WM-E80 in the UK... Grey Import (US Warranty) priced at 80.00 ($155.00).

The results are disappointing. Test shots taken indoors show considerable linear distortion at the edges of the frame (the manual quotes this as 'normal'), overall definition is reduced and I had problems focusing on infinity.

Handling isn't much better: the lens setting must be changed to Wide Angle in the menu, the built-in flash is disabled and the lens is reduced to 28-85mm with no digital zoom. All filters must be removed and the WM-E80 itself does not accept filters or a lens hood. The lens cap is a push-on type which feels less than secure.

The linear distortion, although excessive, can be corrected in Photoshop or cropped out but the other factors are far from ideal.

Will post some examples when it stops snowing.

Bruce
Old Mar 5, 2005, 2:16 PM   #3

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Yes, the WM-E80 on a 8800 performs poorly in the barrel distortion department. However, sharpness is not that bad and you do not have to set the camera to the wide angle mode. Just use the macro mode. When a converter lens is mounted (on any digicam), the internal flash is not supposed to be used, because flash light coming out from the internal flash is virtually guaranteed to be blocked partially by the lens on nearly all digicam. Even on a DSLR/SLR, the internal flash light CAN still be blocked by larger lenses due to its position. Use an external flash instead. Moreover, don't use any converter when the camera lens can do, because any converter reduces image quality no matter how good it is. Here is two more barrel distortion examples:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=12434188

CK

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700 and Panasonic FZ-10 User Guides
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 12:47 PM   #4

I have returned the WM-80 Wide Angle converter for 8800 for the unacceptable geometric distortion that takes place. An inexplicable error of Nikon.

I attach a sample.

Greetings, Ronorro.
Attached Images

ronorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 5:39 PM   #5

Hi Ronorro

Agreed... this is what I have managed to achieve so far:

Ho hum... will try again.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 6:46 PM   #6

ronorro wrote:
Quote:
I have returned the WM-80 Wide Angle converter for 8800 for the unacceptable geometric distortion that takes place. An inexplicable error of Nikon.

I attach a sample.

Greetings, Ronorro.
Sorry you were not happy with the WM-80
From my experience most wide angle lens and adapters will give some barrel distortion, in most cases it can be fixed by your image editor.
I spent a couple of minutes working on your picture in Photo-Brush, ran the Barrel Distortion adjustment and the adjusted the perspective.
My sample below.
Greetings from Canada
Attached Images

deexley is offline   Reply With Quote