Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Feb 21, 2005, 3:52 PM   #1

One thing is for sure, a swivel lens camera like the CP995 or CP4500 allows one to take photos more discreetly than a non-swivel point-and-shoot, dSLR or camera with an articulated screen.

Nikon, when are you going to release the successor to the 4500?
SteveCz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2005, 4:07 PM   #2

I second that! Despite buying a new 8800, I still have a soft spot for my old CP990.

I would also like to get a bit more use out of theNikon wide angle lens I bought for the 990. It still takes good indoor photos.
Bibico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 5:19 PM   #3

I like my nikon 950 a lot. It's really robust, although the selector switch that you use to turn the power on, and also for selecting the modes A, M and Play mode is prone to getting dirty contactors, so that it can go faulty after some time. For example, if I set the switch directly to the Play mode, the camera actually switches OFF. But if I put the switch position somewhere between the Play mode and the mode that's adjacent to it....then I can get into the Play mode. This is how I've been using the camera for years, and it works just fine like that.

I guess that one advantage with fold-out screens like on the canon G6 etc is that you can rotate the camera by 90 degrees and still take pictures when you hold the camera high above your head....because the fold-out screen can swivel about 2 axes, while the nikon 950 can swivel about 1 axis only.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 5:31 PM   #4

Hi Steve and all,

I am the proud owner of first the CP4500 which is absolutely excellent for close-ups and as pointed out before discreetly taking photos at parties etc. and second the CP8800, where I really love the 10x zoom. I am still learning with that one.

I wouldn't get rid of either one, as a pair I think they will serve me well.

Now, if Nikon would have brought out a 10x zoom, 8megapixel swivel camera like the CP 4500, I probably would have gone for that one:-)!!!

Greetings from

Angie

frailea123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 5:36 PM   #5

True...I forgot that the nikon swivel cameras had fantastic close-up capability. That's one of the things I like about them a lot. My nikon 950 didn't do too well in low light shots though however, but took excellent pics when the lighting was adequate.

I was checking out the 4500 camera not that long ago, but was surprised to find that nikon took a step backwards and made the LCD on the 4500 smaller than on the old nikon 950. This was strange.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:32 AM   #6

Kenny_Leong wrote:
Quote:
I like my nikon 950 a lot. It's really robust, although the selector switch that you use to turn the power on, and also for selecting the modes A, M and Play mode is prone to getting dirty contactors, so that it can go faulty after some time. For example, if I set the switch directly to the Play mode, the camera actually switches OFF. But if I put the switch position somewhere between the Play mode and the mode that's adjacent to it....then I can get into the Play mode. This is how I've been using the camera for years, and it works just fine like that.
Quote:
My 990 does exactly the same!
Quote:
Maybe someone here can tell us how to safely get inside and clean the contacts now that warranty is no longer an issue.
Bibico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 5:57 AM   #7

Thanks bibico .. that'd be great if there's some procedure I can follow to clean the contacts to get the thing functioning properly again. Interesting how it happens on the 990 too.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 7:47 AM   #8

Kenny_Leong wrote:
Quote:
Thanks bibico .. that'd be great if there's some procedure I can follow to clean the contacts to get the thing functioning properly again. Interesting how it happens on the 990 too.
Kenny_Leong and bibico, FYI:

http://www.nightskyevents.com/Nikon950repair.html

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:38 PM   #9

KCan wrote:
Quote:
Kenny_Leong wrote:
Quote:
Kenny_Leong and bibico, FYI:

http://www.nightskyevents.com/Nikon950repair.html
This works well, my 990 had a problem with the switch not turning off.
After removing the front cover that actually holds the switch note that the switch is attached by a ribbon cable to the camera circuits. I then soaked the switch from inside with Radio Shack Contact & Head Cleaner and rotated the switch between settings several times. Left it to soak overnight put everything back and the camera has worked fine for several months now.
One caution (tip) spread some cloth on the table to use as a work mat (a towel is good) this will stop the tiny screws bouncing around and reduce the risk of loosing any.
deexley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 5:18 PM   #10

That's amazing. Thanks a lot kcan and deexely. I never would have guessed that somebody would make a web page to give a procedure for getting the switch going again. I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks for the time to let us know about this site.