Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Feb 21, 2005, 4:23 PM   #1

Did anyone manage to figure out how to set focal lengths of 50 and 120 before taking a shot?

The 8800 zoom has no reference and the digital focal length is not displayed until after the photo has been taken!

I'd like to be able to get a reliable focal length for some panoramic shots.
Bibico is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2005, 12:22 PM   #2

I may be answering my own question here, but the equasion between digital and film focal length seems to be 3.932 e.g. 8.9 digital = 35mm on a film camera.

So, if you pulse the zoom control very briefly, five pulses gives a focal length of 12.7, or 50mm. (You only find out focal length after you have taken a photo).

Pulsing the zoom button is probably not an exact science, but what else can we do?

Old Feb 23, 2005, 1:14 PM   #3

If there is no indication at all, one thing you can do is apair of guide bars to set the lens to the desired view angle (ie the desired focal length) , may be it's clearer with a picture to show what I mean.

-----------------------------------X

Camera ------------------------|

-----------------------------------X

You placed the vertival bars (X) at a preset distance from the camera, and at the preset distance from each others, them zoom the lens to have the bars at the edge of the picture for example. not high precision, but it's a way. I will scan a hand drawing to be clear.

here is the FAF , Focal Aid Fork :G

Attached Images

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 1:22 PM   #4

Bibico wrote:
Quote:
So, if you pulse the zoom control very briefly, five pulses gives a focal length of 12.7, or 50mm. (You only find out focal length after you have taken a photo).
How do you get this relation?
Old Feb 24, 2005, 4:33 AM   #5

KCan wrote:
Quote:
Bibico wrote:
Quote:
How do you get this relation?

I'm just multiplying 12.7 by 3.932. That comes out at 49.9. I'm hoping that the calculations are linear, but I'm not sure.

The 8800 lens has 8.9 to 89 written on it and I am multiplying by 3.932 to make these figures relate to 35 to 350.

The main purpose is to avoid convex or concave panoramas and I always thought 50mm was nearest to human vision, and 120mm was recommended for portraits.

It would be good to know roughly where these settings are on the CP8800.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 1:19 PM   #6

Bibico wrote:
Quote:
It would be good to know roughly where these settings are on the CP8800.
May be it's simpler to contruct a chart : from the power on, each time you pulse once, take a pic, then continue taking a pic at each pulse. Then you examine the exif of the pics serie to make up the # of pulse versus focal length correspondance chart.

It would be precise.