Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Feb 26, 2005, 2:31 PM   #1

I am considering purchasing one and I was just wanting to know who had purcahsed one?

Thanks, Christina
christina75457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2005, 3:24 PM   #2

Hi Christina - although the salesmen make it sound invaluable extended warranties is where they make all their money.When it comes to electronics usually allproblems surface in the first few weeks and would be covered under the factory warranty.If the camera is used then it's a different story.

Sting
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 2:15 AM   #3

I've never purchased extended warranties on any electronic appliances that I've bought before. I just thought that if I give the product a decent workout within the normal warranty period, then it should do ok. I've just been lucky so far maybe.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 6:07 PM   #4

My experience, albeit somewhat limited, is that when it fails, it's just outside the 12 month warranty period - yes I agree most electrical goods fail during the initial 'burn in' period well inside the 12 month warranty period but there are other issue such as dust on the CCD which I have experienced twice!!.

For £30 a year I consider worthwhile paying £60 for 3 years cover (2 years over the normal 12 months) to have cover against failure & accidental damage.

So for £60 it's worth the piece of mind - also if you happen to damage it accidentally, it doesn't hit you domestic all risks policy.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 4:17 PM   #5

I just purchased my 8800 on Sunday. I took out this 5 year plan @$10/year. I figured it was cheap enough. Never know after the first year.
photo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 4:27 PM   #6

Also something to keep in mind: many credit cards companies will extend the warranty on items fully purchased with their card, free of additional charge. There are often hoops, limitations and restrictions though, so you should read the fine print. With my particular 'card of choice' for electronic purchases, the warranty period is doubled, up to a maximum of one additional year.
CluelessNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 6:55 PM   #7

I purchased a 2 year extended warranty to add to the Canadian 2 year Nikon warranty on my 8800. Why ? Because my Kodak failed just before it's extended warrantyended and as there were no parts ( immediate redundancy ?) available, they gave me a new camera of comparable value. The extra warranty was less than 10% of the camera's price and I think it's worth it as the store will also replace the camera if it fails a third time. In four years, this camera will be "old", but if it fails, I'll have a new model to replace it...unless Nikon stocks parts for years ! Plus my store ships the camera to Nikon free if any repair is needed.

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 11:03 PM   #8

Hi , where did you purchase your extended warranty for $10 a year and whom is the warranty with ? Thanks Rich
DIGIRICH is offline   Reply With Quote