Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 27, 2002, 11:35 PM   #1

Default Wondering...

If you could purchase a Nikon CP5700 or D100 - which one would you buy and why?
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2002, 3:39 AM   #2

Default Why?

I started out playing with a Coolpix 950 and it was a great camera. I bought a 995 and it was even better in most respects. I then bought a 5700, and it was amazing. Each of these steps were large ones, but none are close to the step to a DSLR.

I have a Fuji S2 Pro now, and the only part I miss is the native macro capability of the Coolpix cameras. That has been resolved with a good macro lens, and some close up lenses as well.

The noise performance of the larger sensor in the DSLR is much better, especially at higher ISOs. ASA 400 had noticable noise on the 5700 but is barely detectable in the S2 and then only in some circumstances. The dynamic range is also better with the larger sensor.

Add the standard features such as interchangeable lenses, and real TTL flash, and you have pretty much addressed the shortcomings of the "Prosumer" cameras.

However, it comes with a price- in expense, and in the knowledge of photographic technique and operation of the more sophisticated camera. The DSLR is NOT a point and shoot camera although the auto modes are pretty good. To extract the real benefits of the SLR platform a heavy bag of accessories is required, just as with film.

For casual use the 5700 is the better choice, and will encourage keeping a camera nearby at all times. The DSLR and it's accessories can be just the opposite. Lugging everything around can be a pain, but not as painful as not having what you needed to get the shot you wanted.

Many folks have gotten involved in photography due to the convenience of modern digicams and have never lugged a bag full of metal and glass around, and don't appreciate just how big of a burden it can become!

Regards,

Tim
TimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2002, 2:01 PM   #3

This may be sacrilege to say here, but my Olympus E20 has most of the power of a professional digital SLR, but doesn't require much of a bag of bits to make it work.
Naturally, there are some compromises...the noninterchangeable lens is limited to 35-140mm. That might not be sufficient for some people. Um...I'm running out of limitations. It has a built-in macro mode, by the way. You can buy tele and macro add-on lenses which extend the range in both directions, but then you're back to the gadget bag...
Edit: After thinking about your question some more, I think you need BOTH cameras! I still have my CP 950, my first digital cam, which I still use when I want to "travel light."
FWIW
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2002, 5:42 PM   #4

Default If money was no object...

I would buy the D100. I bought the 5700 as a financial comprimise
The D100 is a better camera especially in low light, however the 5700 has been a good camera for me. Check out the reviews. below you will find a link to my 5700 pics if you so desire to see.

:arrow: http://www.pbase.com/jimskayak
Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2002, 9:08 PM   #5

Default RE:If you could purchase a Nikon CP5700 or D100 - which one

I'm using a Coolpix 4500 right now, which is a great camera, but has limitations, especially its SLOWNESS and iffy metering (zones or no zones, the metering is barely acceptable)
I was able to shoot pics in the rain yesterday, between shots I just stuck it in my pocket.

The 5700 is too expensive for a camera with a non-removable lens.
The D100 to me is the preferred route, especially because my N6006 body just broke, leaving me with a stack of lenses that have no place to go. However, all of these digital cameras are very pricey when you consider that they will be obsolete within 2 years. My N6006 has hung in there for 10+ years and probably a couple more after it is fixed (classic film door latch problem).
johnfalky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2002, 10:47 PM   #6

Default Re: RE:If you could purchase a Nikon CP5700 or D100 - which

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfalky
The D100 to me is the preferred route, especially because my N6006 body just broke, leaving me with a stack of lenses that have no place to go.
I really wanted a D100 and would have bought it if I had a "stack" of Nikkors like John.
Since I didn't, the D100, with a good AF zoom would have been over $3K. Too pricey for me.
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote