Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Mar 1, 2005, 5:53 PM   #1
JLC

I set the 8800 on B&W to see what it would do.

JLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2005, 12:48 PM   #2

Nice photo.

I've got a question for this forum: what would be best - shoot in color and use Photoshop to convert to B/W OR shoot in B/W.

To me the advantage of shooting color is that you can then have either color or B/W.

Am I missing something? I'm not too concerned with file size effects.

Bob

bob_ledyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 6:03 PM   #3
JLC

Bob,

I was wondering the same thing.

Here is a picture I took last week and changed to B&W on the photo editor.

Jack

JLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 7:53 AM   #4

Great pictures Jack... very atmospheric.

Shooting in black and white uses the same amount of memory but retains a higher level of detail than colour. But you can't shoot in RAW and you lose White Balance control... page 94 in the manual.

Bruce
brucegarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 1:06 PM   #5

From my own testing it appears there is an increase in the dynamic range - this being the reason for increased detail and same memory usage as a colour shot.

The increased dynamic range is most apparent when you've got a scene with a big difference in the light, for example a scene with a lot of dark and a lot of light in it.

Easiest example of this is silhouetted images, but I expect that it will work equally well capturing more detail in the texture of things.

Of course, the one point about all this is that with the 8mp sensor in there, you really are going to struggle to catch any 'more' detail in the image, but as said it should help in bright skies (e.g. sunny, but cloud-covered) with darkly coloured landscapes, amongst other things.

I did notice one thing in the review over at Imaging Resource in their sample images;
Scroll down to the house shot, and you find
Quote:
(The Coolpix 8800's eight-megapixel CCD actually stretches the limits of this poster as a test target. Even though it was made from a 500MB scan of a 4x5 negative shot with a tack-sharp lens, the camera extracts nearly all the detail that's to be found here.)
Link's here:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...0/CP88PICS.HTM

The flipside is as Bruce said that you cannot shoot in RAW format which arguably captures an equally detailed image, in colour, though my experience with RAW is extremely limited so I can't confirm whether this would be true or not.

As for the question of whether to B&W in-camera or using photoshop... that appears to be a matter of taste and skill. Try both and see which you prefer.
JakobG is offline   Reply With Quote