Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Mar 12, 2005, 8:17 AM   #11

The old meets the new. Late, and the sun fights the Shanghai smog.
Attached Images

sirthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 8:22 AM   #12

Less zoom, still handheld.
Attached Images

Old Mar 12, 2005, 11:50 AM   #13

sirthomas,

You have taken some awesome pictures. You are fortunate to be there.

I see that your 8800 appears to behave as mine does in low light as in the "The old city of Dali" picture. I find that under those conditions I have to set the exposure compensation a stop or two over, in spite of metering off a darker area by half depressing the shutter release. I have more work to do in this area. In bright lite exposure is perfect.

I've had my camera for almost three months but even with manual camera and b/w darkroom experience there is a lot to learn.

Another thing I'd add is that for viewing here, 640 pixels wide is about the limit to view the image without scrolling. I'm not sure why this site doesn't limit the images. I guess this is why you have to click on some of the attachments.

Show us more!

Greg

GregHal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 12:48 PM   #14

Great photos sirthomas! Thanks for sharing.
Old Codger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 1:34 PM   #15

Thanks guys!

Now maybe I have the guts to share some more later
I will try to learn some more about the EV settings Greghal, I seldom use this function. Thanks for the tips! This picture from Dali was taken late in the afternoon and the sky was very exciting I thought.
Just looked at my info file, and the EV was actually showing -0.3, shutterspeed 1/250. I metered at the sky,pressing the releasebutton half way down, for then to move the camera downwards and shoot. I Did take another picture with same procedure on full auto (not S as this one) giving better result. The camera chose 1/201 and EV was 0.00......would have posted that one if it wasnt for some people coming half way into the picture

Yes indeed, I have still alot to learn with this advanced camera. After 4 months ownership, I can agree for sure. But thats also one of the reasons its so great camera I think. At the same time, if one wants it to, it can also provide any grandma with excellent photos :idea:

I will try to find out how to post later photos here with 640 pixles wide. If I find out how .....I am using Paintshop pro 8.0
Old Mar 12, 2005, 2:31 PM   #16

Had to try and figure out the pixel adjustment. This reduced to 640 pixles wide. The old town of Lijiang.
Attached Images

Old Mar 12, 2005, 4:16 PM   #17

sirthomas,

Hey, that was pretty good. It only took you an hour to figure out resize. I have spent way more than that figuring out simple functions in Photo Shop! :G

If it was your intention to have the sky set the exposure in the street scene then you did the right thing.

If you wanted the street scene to set the exposure then you would have to pick one of the darker areas to set exposure and then raise the camera so the brighter area will be somewhat overexposed. To me, the street scene is more interesting than the sky but that's just me.

Greg
Old Mar 13, 2005, 1:08 AM   #18

Hi Sirthomas,

Thank you for posting all those wonderful pictures. I bought the camera for its 10x zoom and your mountain picture really does that justice.

Its very unlikely that I will ever get to that part of the world (we usually spend our holidays in South-America) and its really nice to see so many well taken photos of another part of the world.

Keep posting!:-)

Greetings from

Angie

Ps. I got some nice moon photos as well, thats another thing I like about the CP8800
frailea123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 9:45 AM   #19

Thanx greghal
Was actually quite easy to fix the pixles afterall.
I learned about your exposure techniques just before this roundtrip. And tried it out a few times with self-satisfaction. I am sure there are many unexperienced photgraphers like me appreciating such tips. If you (or others) have more tips to how some of my posted photos could have turned out better with the 8800 or in general, I would love to learn.

I have one qutestion:
On sunny days, and especially at full tele (like the mountain top picture) I had to focus on the sky alone for then to lower the camera in order to get the sky nice and blue. Just by focusing on the mountain top and shoot, the sky turned out too bright I think, not giving me the powerful blue colour that I like in such pictures. Any other tips to do this?

Did also experience the same when taking beachphotos of green water, white beach and awesome blue sky on previous vacation at the Phillippines, even when setting the saturation to +2.It helped a bit when increasing the shutterspeed to 1/500, but I still had to focus on the sky and then lower the camera and shoot to get the wanted powerful colours. I did use UV filter! I had the ISO set to 50, do ISO matter for coulours?

How do professional photographers take their really colourful landscape pictures, like we see in adverticements, magazines etc.?? Would love to get some tips here! Know they have even better cameras of course.

I know from experience that Nikon provide natural and very "correct" colours, and are better on portraits etc than for ex. Canon, that I think gives more colour rich pictures, if not too colour rich in some occations, ex.portraits. I will NOT trade my beloved 8800, but there are some times I would like more colours, especially when I will take lots of freeride powder skiing pictures in the Norwegian mountains next winter. Will be greatful for any tips!

Thanks Angie, and I sure agree on how nice it is to have the 10x zoom available at any time. Really handy sometimes, also when taking "paparazzi" photos of strange people like the old woman or the two old guys above Have you posted some moon photos lately?...or maybe some from a 8800 vacation in South America?

Sirthomas.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 12:07 AM   #20

sirthomas,

Even though the 8800 is a pretty darn good camera it can't make magic.

When you have a scene that is half dark and half bright you have to chose which one you want to photograph. If you wanted to make the sky stand out then you would have done well to not have included so much of the street. Either that or pick a scene where everything is illuminated evenly, maybe at a different time of day.