Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Oct 7, 2005, 10:30 AM   #11

Thanks Steve. I also downloadvia the USB but have alsoswapped out cards on occasions. I have checked the pins and everything seems to be ok. The problem seemed to start after erasing the memory card last time so I am sure its a problem linked to the memory card. The System Error 2message comes up straight after the save process after taking the picture.

You are right when you say the Nikon don't have an answer to the problem so it looks like I am going to have to return it. I'll post any further updates.

Cheers,

Russ
karnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 6:48 PM   #12

Have you tried a different memory card ? I assume so, but as I only have one that fits, maybe you do as well. I seem to remember someone posting last year that they had jammed the card in backwards, or something like that, and had problems. It certainly is irritating for you and I doubt you'll trust Nikon again ? I did buy a small 35mm Nikon years ago that was hopeless and it put me off them for a while. I guess the new electronics makes it a whole new ball game and I do wonder how long all these gizmos will whir and do whatever they do. I still have my 1972 F2S that works..the first "electronic" light metered Nikon I'm aware of. Your problem is disconcerting and I hope I don't have the same problem, as my patience with almost all companies is down to about zero recently. I can't accept they don't know what the problem is. Don't they understand their own creations ???

Steve

The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 5:58 AM   #13

Hi Steve,

I have three cards (2off 256Mb, 1off 512Mb) all of which have been working fine up to now. Nikon sugested leaving the battery out of the camera for 24hrs which I did but to no avail.

I have another problem in that the UK company I bought the camera from imported it from the US so Nikon UK won't support it. The UK company says they will deal with it but I am a bit worried it could take a while if it has to go back to Nikon USA.

I'll let you know how I get on. Hopefully your camera won't get the same problem.

Cheers,

Russ
karnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 10:48 AM   #14

The "Dreaded System 2 Error" invariably means it has to go back. None of the usual advice (e.g., switching memory cards, keeping the battery out, updating firmware) does anything. They're not so fast on the return (2 weeks for mine), but you can view the status on their web site (small comfort). I have mine back and working, but cannot seem to get any type of sharp action photos (e.g., kids at soccer). Could there be a setting which makes it more sensitive (like higher ASA/ISO film)? Very frustrating.:?
bowhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 4:52 PM   #15

I have the same camera and Just today (that's why I'm replying) for the first time I had the System Error 2, but was because I drop it on the floor and the lens moved, I fixed the lens but I still have the same System Error 2 after i take a picture.
CDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 3:10 PM   #16

Default Time for class action

With so many 8800 users (of me being one) experiencing this problem the camera is obviously defective. Hence there should have been a mandatory recall on the part of Nikon to rectify the situation. I beleive if all of the owners of this model camera banded together and formed a class action lawsuit we could get a little recompence for our suffering!! I know 500.00 to me is a lot of money which is what I paid for the unit. This experience has also put me off ever buying another Nikon product in the future.
nikonblues001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2009, 1:55 PM   #17

Default Nikon 8800 system error 2

I just got this Nikon from my sister she paid a bundle for it. Soon after she got it system error 2 started up she had it fixed for over 300 bucks and 20 pictures later sure enough system error 2 what junk I tried the reset again and again I tried several new cf cards nothing works. I have a canon my self never have problems. Does anybody know the number for Nikon repair I want to find out what they will do about this they know there are a lot of cameras out there with this problem and if I do some pushing I think they will agree to fix it no charge. Well at least it is worth a try.
I have checked EBAY out this camera is not worth squat with this problem Nikon should do something besides just discontinuing the product.

Last edited by WESTON77; Nov 1, 2009 at 2:01 PM. Reason: addition
WESTON77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2010, 7:08 PM   #18

I too am having this problem and nothing noted earlier has worked. By resetting I might get of a few more shots before needing to re-boot and sometimes not. I took my camera to an authorized Nikon repair center in Sacramento and I was told I had to leave the camera and the cost would be in the vicinity of $200-$300 with no idea if he could actually fix it. I hesitate to spend the money if there is no guarantee. Has anyone had success with getting Nikon to own up to the problem?
drsmithaz is offline   Reply With Quote