Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Mar 14, 2005, 8:35 PM   #1
seb

I've had my new 8800 for few weeks now; thanks, in part, to you guys. I really like the camera. But...yesterday it suddenly started having problems. Everytime I take a shot...no matter the shooting mode or image quality setting...the picture saves to my memory card and then the camera displays [Err]. I have to turn the camera off and back on...then it's fine for one more shot...

Does anyone have experience with this problem?
seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2005, 8:57 PM   #2

Uh-oh,

I've only had my 8800 for about two weeks and haven't had that error message. But I do believe that the camera will have to be sent to Nikon for the dreaded "System Error 2" message.

From Nikon website:

Having a "System Error" message display on the camera's LCD display generally indicates a problem where the camera will need to come to Nikon for repair. A System Error is a general error which can be caused by many things: lens problem, CF Card problem, general camera failure, etc. Before sending the camera in, check these:
  1. Use the memory card that originally came with the camera (or a Nikon approved card) [/*]
  2. Remove and replace the battery [/*]
If the error is still displayed, contact Nikon's Service Department (below). If the above tips do not help the camera must be sent to Nikon Service, there are no user serviceable parts on Nikon Coolpix cameras.
We apologize for the inconvenience and will do everything we can to repair your Nikon camera as quickly as possible.

Good Luck,

Mike
Mike_61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 7:09 AM   #3

mine did the same thing while we were away in India! boy was i p!ssed off.

i sent it in for repair. i hope to have it back soon...
muddyh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 8:26 AM   #4

I'd just try to format the CF card. And if that doesn't work, then I'd try to borrow a CF card from a friend, and then format that. If that doesn't work...then I'd send the camera in for warranty repairs.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 5:36 PM   #5

i have had the same problem with my nikon cp 8800 except that since the begining of the problem I sent it to authorized nikon repair center(s) :?in Iran and after four months :shock:and receiving lots of lies from the professional troubleshooters :blah:the camera still shows the same System Error 2 message.

I really don't know how to find a way to fix this problem.

:?
aryaprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 5:40 PM   #6

seb wrote:
Quote:
I've had my new 8800 for few weeks now; thanks, in part, to you guys. I really like the camera. But...yesterday it suddenly started having problems. Everytime I take a shot...no matter the shooting mode or image quality setting...the picture saves to my memory card and then the camera displays [Err].
I wouldn't hesitate by taking straight back to the dealer for a replacement.

You shouldn't have to return it for repair if it's just a few weeks old & put up with the inconvenience.

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 8:32 AM   #7

I do have the same problem.

System error 2 AFTER each image has been stored on he CF memory.

After re-formatting the 4GB microdrive it disappeared but came back a few weeks later.

It is a pain .. to be obliged to switch off the camera between each and every picture, especially as it seems to have no real impact on picture quality of performance.

Gert
gertg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 9:11 AM   #8

I was dismayed to find others have had this problem also. I had to return my "first" 8800 after a few days due to a system error which kept the camera from working --at all. Now I can take 1-2 photos before the system error message. Has anyone learned ANYTHING else about this?
bowhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 11:50 AM   #9

I have just started getting the 'system error 2' message on my 8800after taking each picture. I havebeen using the camera without any problemssince last Christmas.Has anyone got the latest on this problem please.
karnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:57 PM   #10

I don't have an answer, but do have a question, as my 8800 has worked flawlessly since last November. Do you remove your memory card and use a card reader to download ? I have always used the USB cable and so have never removed the card. I wonder if there could be pins or something not meeting properly if you remove and insert the card often ? Probably a dumb suggestion, but it sounds like Nikon doesn't know the answer !

All said, if it was my camera, it would be back to the store pretty fast. That's one reason I bought from a reliable store, in person, and know they will look after me, judging from past experience.

Good luck and please post an update.

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote