Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Mar 16, 2005, 1:44 PM   #1
ixc

I just got an email about the coolpix 4600.

I was leaning towards the Canon A510/520 due to its size and lens range (35-114) but wasnt sure which i wanted. Still debating on MP vs shot time (510 is reported 2.3 a sec while 520 is closer to 1.9).

now, i see that the new nikon will have a similar lens (34mm-102mm). I am curious to know how quick this camera is and how good the image quality is. Its always a little irritating to not be able to catch those spontaneous moments.

i am having a really hard time deciding now due to the great success i have always had with nikon - my 4300, works SQ, boss's x700 (was the one that was two pieces - could spin the camera and keep the lcd in position).

so i guess what it is really starting to come down tois - lens range and speed. id like to stay with the 4MP just incase i decide i want to print larger photos.
ixc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2005, 6:11 PM   #2

I believe the 4600 is out however I have not tried it out. There is a review on it at dpreview.com . I however did check out the 4800 today and I seemed to like it. I have a Kodak dc3400 now 2mp now. This 4800 had a very nice 8.3x optical zoom which I really liked and it did macro shots good. Not sure if this would help you or not but you could check out the review.

Mark
Markncrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 6:05 PM   #3

Just picked one up yesterday not to bad a little camera.. check out "Close ups" in this forum for an example of what it will do.. Dale
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:05 AM   #4

I'm looking to purchase a 4600 for my 13 year-old, but have been put off by mostly negative user reviews. I don't know how much stock to put in them, but the trend of comments revolves around poor focus consistency (especially in low light) and a painfully long delay between flash shots. One user claimed 10 sec. recycle time.

Can anyone corroborate or debunk these issues? It seems like a nice balance of features/price, so I'm trying to convince myself that it will be OK.

Thanks
rar2667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 8:18 PM   #5

Indeed a little time between shots, But the focus is fine, if you want a real fast camera the point and shoots are not the answer you will have to go up to the DSLRs Good luck .... Dale
Old Mar 31, 2005, 11:23 AM   #6

Thanks Dale...I may go for it. Maybe my tastes are a bit more discerning than my 13 year old daughter. Compact size is her most important requirement.

Thanks
rar2667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 7:44 PM   #7

Belive me it is compact... one reason for my purchase, so I can keep it in my bunker gear.. Here is example of what it will do.. something I shot quick today.. let me know how you like it good luck... dale
Attached Images

Old Apr 2, 2005, 6:12 PM   #8

Cool pic!
shutter_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 7:15 PM   #9

Thank-you