Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 4, 2002, 11:33 AM   #1

Default 5700 TC-E15ED teleconverter

who has one and what is your opinion on its picture quality? :?:
also, referral to some sample shots to look at would be nice.
thnx....
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2002, 7:29 PM   #2

very blurry with anything that moves, wish i didn't buy it.
blkhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2002, 2:34 PM   #3

Well, even without tele converter, at 8x zoom (somethin like 280 mm in 35 mm format), you should at least shoot at shutter speed 1/280 s (handholding) to get sharp picture, or faster than that for moving object. Now, imagine with 1.5x magnification from the teleconverter, the focal length (in 35 mm format) is 420 mm, handholding the camera at least requires 1/420 s shutter speed for non moving object, or faster for moving object. It wants lights, lots of lights, and of course, a tripod will help a lot
gared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2002, 11:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkhotrod
blurry as in things moving fast like cars or blurry as in candid shots of people sitting around a table talking?

didn't have time to try it out at the local camera store. just exactly how long is this thing on the camera?

for comparisons, at full zoom, my Sigma 80-200mm lens is about 11". handholding has never been a problem and i don't shoot with a tripod anyway. is the length within this range or longer?

granted that it's not great for moving objects, but how is the pic quality (color/sharpness/depth of field) for landscape/still photography?
thnx....
Old Jan 8, 2003, 11:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ws
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkhotrod
blurry as in things moving fast like cars or blurry as in candid shots of people sitting around a table talking?

granted that it's not great for moving objects, but how is the pic quality (color/sharpness/depth of field) for landscape/still photography?
thnx....
Didn't want this thread to die or get lost before it was resolved.
thnx....
pixrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2003, 3:06 PM   #6

i am satisfied with the pic quality for stationary objects.
blkhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2003, 5:09 PM   #7

I'm very satisfied with my TC-E15ED. Very nice make.
I'm able to shoot at 1/125 sec. and get pinsharp shots anyway. This is good enough for me - others not!
The picturequality is very good - you cant hardly tell if it was shot with the TC attatched.
If you need a zoom in that range (420mm) this is a good buy. I'll recommend it. It's very portable and light to carry. Not too big either. (Even at 1.2 digital zoom (=500mm) the picture quality is very good.
Recommended!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2003, 5:28 PM   #8

Oh, forgot to mention: you'll get a very nice long distance macro function also...
Old Jan 9, 2003, 2:47 PM   #9

KLAUS....

looked through your set of pics, but couldn't tell which ones were shot with the TC-E15ED lens. got any samples shot with it?

also, very impressed with the makeshift lens you made to shoot the macro of the bee. what did you add to the lens to shoot that close?
thnx....
pixrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 7:15 AM   #10

Pixrus

Thank for your comment on the bee shot. It was taken with a "selfmade" lens. I bought a binocular (!), took out the glass at the end, glumed it on a 28mm filter (with no glass in it) at screwed it into the adapter for the Coolpix 5000. Put the camera on macrosettings and shot it while sitting in my window. That's it. It can be done cheaper than buying macrolenses...

Here is a link to a shot I've taken with the TC-E15ED zoom to maximum and put on macrosetting. I have not edited the shot in any way. The distance to the object is about 1,5 meter maximum I think (havent measured it). The quality is of course the same without the macrosetting.

http://www.pbase.com/image/10684403

What do you think ?

Forgot to mention it was shot freehanded. Please view the exifdata on the pic. (the lens didn't get on the exifdata..dont know why!)