Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Mar 28, 2005, 3:28 PM   #1

Does anyone out there know why the on/off switch on my Nikon 8700 will not work? I've owned the camera for about a month and everything has been working flawlessly until this morning when I switched it to the on position and nothing happened. I recharged the battery but it still appears that the camera has no power. I have a feeling that the solution is something simple. Is there a button or switch that I may have accidently pushed or activated? I bought the camera online so I am avoiding having to go to a local dealer for help.

sierrapac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2005, 7:48 PM   #2

Just a thought - is your mode selector switch in playback rather then on.

Larry
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 8:12 PM   #3

Sounds like that camera is out of action. I think you'll have to send it in for repair or replacement, under warranty. But it might be a good idea to check that the battery hasn't gone faulty on you first.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 11:05 AM   #4

I am assuming that when you say "mode switch" you are refering to the switch that changes the camera from shooting mode to display mode. The camera just doesn't power up when switched to "On". I've confirmed that the battery is OK. One thing that I didn't mention previously is that the camera had accidently left on when it was put away the other night so the camera automaticaly shut down into "Stand By" mode and remained that way until I tried to power up the next morning when I realized that it had been left in the "On" position. I then switched it to "Off" and then back "On", when I discovered that it wouldn't power up. I guess I might have to send it back.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:09 PM   #5

Sounds like the camera's got a problem from that description about it transitioning into a standby mode, followed by failure to turn on again. One last thing to try before sending it back for warranty repair is to take the battery out of the camera for a few days and just leave the camera alone. Then after a few days, put a charged battery into the camera and see what it does. Even if it turns on again, I'd probably send it in for service anyhow...because the camera behaved oddly already.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 1:00 PM   #6

Thanks to all for the feedback. I sent it back to the retailer as it fortunately was within the 30 day window for returns or exchanges. I really liked the camera, and hope I don't have any problems with the new one.