Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Mar 29, 2005, 8:35 PM   #1

OK, I'm going nuts trying to decide between the 8800 and the A200. I've got a few questions about the 8800 if you don't mind me asking:

Are the write times as bad as the reviews make them out to be? I've heard one guy say they're barely noticable and another guy say they're enough to make him return the camera. Is it a problem only when using the 5-shot bursts, or does it happen for even single shots?

How's the low-light autofocus? I know that it's never going to be perfect, but I understand that the 8800 occasionally just goes and goes without ever finding anything.

Zoom: how's the mechanical action? I know the A200's ring will be much more precise, but is this variable speed, or does it zip/crawl in andout?

Any other complaints?

Thanks for the information!
mmiikee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2005, 1:27 AM   #2

mmiikee wrote:
Quote:
OK, I'm going nuts trying to decide between the 8800 and the A200. I've got a few questions about the 8800 if you don't mind me asking:

Are the write times as bad as the reviews make them out to be? I've heard one guy say they're barely noticable and another guy say they're enough to make him return the camera. Is it a problem only when using the 5-shot bursts, or does it happen for even single shots?

How's the low-light autofocus? I know that it's never going to be perfect, but I understand that the 8800 occasionally just goes and goes without ever finding anything.

Zoom: how's the mechanical action? I know the A200's ring will be much more precise, but is this variable speed, or does it zip/crawl in andout?

Any other complaints?

Thanks for the information!
Hi there!

I own an 8800 so I am biased. That said, I don't have any prior experience with a camera of this caliber so any comparison cannot be performed.

First, the write time is excessive but I only shoot in maximum resolution so I would expect 12 to 24 megs to take a little time. I started shooting in RAW or NEF format because it is only 12 megabytes instead of 24.

Have not tried the 5 burst thingy yet. I only shoot singles right now.

Have taken pictures in a cave with some light but definitely low and it did fine for me. Only had trouble a time or two.. but would expect that in a cave with lots of rounded stuff to deflect beams and stuff.

The zoom (single speed) is plenty fast for me. It seems to move at a reasonable rate and does not hold me up in taking shots. I don't do a lot of action shots so take it for what it is worth. Most of my shots are on a tripod. It does have a manual focus mode but that takes more time.

Complaints: 1) the fact that it will not take standard sized filters. Buy adaptor from www.nextphoto.net or com ... it will make life a lot simpler for filters and stuff. 2) Takes a while to try everything this is suppose to do.. not sure if that is complaint or in the fun column. 3) A bit of a delay between pressing shutter button and the picture being captured (have missed a couple of bird shots due to this) but I think this is something you can set or adjust in the set-up on the camera. I read about it in the book but have not fooled with it yet. 4) No one seems to have the filters and accessories for this camera in yet. 5) Would recommend buying an extra battery. The one that comes with it does last about as long as it takes to fill a 1 gig memory card but I usually carry two cards and two batteries. 6) I use Photoshop Elements 3.0 for post processing as I did not like the software that came with the camera.

Overall I like the camera and have taken some nice shots so far. However, I am new to all this so take it for what it is worth.

I would recommend the camera but I would like to try others to see how it compares.

Hope it helps.

Bill

Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 8:40 AM   #3

Thanks for the responses. I think the buffer and the shutter lag/focus problems really defeat the rest of this camera's functionality.

That Panasonic looks nice, but I don't know if the quality of the image is where I'd want it to be.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 6:54 PM   #4

Thanks againfor the help. I decided to go with the A200. The Panasonic was nice, but I think the quality of the Minolta more than made up for the bigger zoom. Also, considering that it's been 4 years since I got my last camera, I'll be keeping this one for awhile and didn't think that the flaws of the 8800 would have made me happy.