Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 8, 2002, 12:58 AM   #1

Default 5700 tele converters?

I know that Nikon makes a 1.5x tele converter for the 5700. Does anyone make one with a larger power? Or something which could be put on the Nikon one? (Of course, I don't know if it's threaded...)
The OpticZoom 5x doesn't fit, so that is out.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2002, 10:08 AM   #2

To get the best quality you should go for Nikon teleconverters. They are made for use with the CP cameras.
Remember that if you make the focallenght too long e.x over 500mm you will need extremely much light and a tripod. The use with CP5700 will be very limited.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2002, 3:29 PM   #3

I don't have a problem with going with a Nikon teleconverter if they made one larger than 1.5. Since they don't, I was hoping someone knew of an after market that would work. I'd like the option of extending out to near 600mm, although practically I don't know how often I'd use it. It's a question of flexibility.

I accept that it will require a tripod and good light. Most of the uses that I can imagine which I'd want to reach out that far would be during the day, outdoors, on slower moving things (a perched Eagle, not a sporting event, for example.) Not guaranteed to be good light, but it's worth trying the shot when I come across it.

Is that an unreasonable use for this camera? I've never had the equipment for long range shots. I was assuming that the ability to get between 500-600mm would do what I want without having to spring for a scope and doing digiscoping (if I only had that much $$$ to spare.)

I'm really only asking about it because someone is offering me a good deal on CP5700. It seems like a 5000 with an OpticZoom would be a better choice for me.

Eric
Old Dec 10, 2002, 5:56 AM   #4

Default telephoto on 5700

47th strret photo in NY has two that work with the 5700.
The Titanium one has a magnification of 2. They sell them on ebay. just search on Nikon 5700 and you will find them on about the 4th or 5th page.

Jim
Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2002, 12:04 PM   #5

Default telephoto on 5700

Jim,
Thanks for the info. A quick look at their web site showed the 2x "52mm Crystal Vision Telephoto Lens" for about 60 bucks. I don't know if I'll get it yet, but its availability is what I was looking for.
Anyone tried one?

Eric
Old Dec 16, 2002, 9:43 AM   #6

Default The place you're looking for is Raynox...

The place you're looking for is Raynox - they make a matched 1.8 and 1.85 TC for the CP 5700. Note that they claim the 8x of the CP will be a cause of some image degradation with the 1.85. They have some sample photos of each TC versus max optical telephoto of the 5700 (280mm - no digital zoom). As always, YMMV...
Covey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2002, 9:45 AM   #7

Default Forgot to add the link - DOH!

ops:

Here - http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digital/egnikon5700.htm
Covey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2002, 10:48 PM   #8

Default Thanks for the tip

Yes, that was what I am looking for. Thanks for the link.
I looked at the sample pictures they gave. Assuming they didn't change the camera settings, the DCR-1800 (1.8x) seemed to loose a lot of detail to white-out on some leaves and a rock. On the other hand the DCR-1850 (1.85x) doesn't seem to suffer from that. If that was really the best picture they could get using the 1.8 I don't see them selling many of them.

Eric

ps. For those that care, the links are:
1.8x zoom (first normal, then with the add-on)
http://www.raynox.co.jp/actualimage/...00-panther.jpg
http://www.raynox.co.jp/actualimage/...to-panther.jpg
and:
1.85x zoom (first normal, then with the add-on)

http://www.raynox.co.jp/actualimage/...oto-object.jpg
http://www.raynox.co.jp/actualimage/...pro-object.jpg
Old Dec 18, 2002, 2:27 AM   #9

If these are unedited shots - it's should be easy to choose between Nikon and Raynox on this issue. The Raynox are simply not good enough (at least for me). The Raynox seems to modify the colors and tone them....this removes the great Nikon colorrendition.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote