Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 8, 2002, 2:13 AM   #1

Default 5700 low light AF problems?

I just recently purchased a Nikon CP 5700 and was a little worried about low light autofocusing problems that many have mentioned. In low light conditions, the AF indicator is often flashing when I take the picture. I've even taken pictures in very, very dark conditions of my kids sleeping and got fairly good results. Even though the LED is flashing, I get sharp pictures 90% of the time. I've come to believe that the flashing LED is much like the fuel gauge that shows "Empty" when you have half a tank. Sure, some pictures are out of focus, but not many. I've learned to ignore the flashing AF LED.
Rathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2002, 5:44 AM   #2
jv

The 5700 does have an issue with low light and focusing. If there is any, and I mean *any* camera movement while you are trying to focus, the focus mechanism will hunt. The way out of this is to put the thing on a tripod. I have done several low light shots - if it is hand held, I get a blurred picture; if it is tripod mounted (or use a sandbag), I get great pix...

Cheers

John[/quote]
jv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2002, 2:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jv
The 5700 does have an issue with low light and focusing. If there is any, and I mean *any* camera movement while you are trying to focus, the focus mechanism will hunt. The way out of this is to put the thing on a tripod. I have done several low light shots - if it is hand held, I get a blurred picture; if it is tripod mounted (or use a sandbag), I get great pix...

Cheers

John
[/quote]

Well, this makes sense.

You will definitely get fuzzy photos no matter how well the auto focus works if you hand hold the camera during the exposure cycle in low light conditions. The shutter stays open too long. I wonder if some of the auto focus problems people are reporting is simply due to the fact they are hand holding the camera in low light conditions?

--Laserjock
Laserjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2002, 8:31 PM   #4
jv

That may well be the case, as you say; however from what I can gather the focusing mechanism has diffculty differentiating in low light if there is camera movement. This is pre-shutter release.

Cheers

John
jv is offline   Reply With Quote