Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 8, 2002, 6:24 AM   #1
jv

Default Nikon 5700, Metz, 80DX, etc - some thoughts (LP)

I have had a 5000 and 5700 for some months now (sold the 5000) and have had a variety of power struggles with various flash units.

Conclusions so far:

My SB24, faithfull friend off old used on an F801 and F90X wont work on the 5700, even though the manual says so. The Nikon distributor says the manual is wrong. It just goes full wallop on every pix taken. So I went out and bought a 80DX. Nice unit. Works so so... It is important to set it on TTL, set the ISO to the camera, which is set to a fixed ISO (100 for me) rather than Auto. Then set the power zoom to the appropriate distance, and make sure that the F-stop on the flash matches that of the camera (say F5.6). I generally get good results. I also disable the internal flash on the camera *except* when I am using bounce flash - the two work well together in this regard, with the smaller on-camera flash providing some good fill. You do have to enable the on-camera flash though.

Note: it is very important that when the Nikon strobe is set to TTL one does *NOT* block the sensor which is mounted on the on-camera flash, otherwise you will get a pix that is totally blown out. For that reason you have to have the on-camera flash pop up everytime you want to take a flash picture, regardless of whether it fires or not. I set mine ot manual pop-up. It drives me nuts otherwise. When I want the strobe to fire, I press the flash button.

But I have a monster Metz 50MZ-5 sitting in the cupboard. So I thinks to meself - maybe if I hook this thing up, what will happen. I am mindful of voltages across the hotshoe etc, but what the hell, it works on the F90, so should work on the 5700 - they both can use the same Nikon strobe... I disabled the on-camera flash, set up the Metz to A (not TTL), set the Zoom, ISO and F-stop as per above. I then bounce off the ceiling, and use the fill flash on the strobe (not the on-camera one this time).

Results: well the same as that I have for film cameras. The Metz seems to do the job with more aplomb than the Nikon flash (there is of course no substitute for cubes ) The colours are slightly warmer and the highlights a little less.

I am still exploring one or two things with the Metz. Will it run on TTL, and will the on-camera sensor control the flash duration then? I run it on A at the moment, and therefore the Metz sensor controls the flash (I am assuming here). Can one assume too that if you run the Nikon strobe in A mode the sensor on the strobe will control the flash, rather than the on-camera one?

And the big question - *will* the camera handle the Metz without destroying it or the strobe??? Anyone know?

My only wish is that I had the courage to use the Metz at the wedding I went to yesterday.... It is definitely the superior flash.

Cheers

John
jv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2002, 6:09 AM   #2
jv

Metz in Germany have just replied to a question regarding the SCA adaptor series - it appears that I have to buy a new adaptor so to use my Metz on the 5700. I have the 3401 - now I have to get the SCA343

More money <sigh>

Cheers

John
jv is offline   Reply With Quote