Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 14, 2002, 3:18 AM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ltheran
Steve,

Great format for the forum, by the way.

Re. your review, three questions.

1) I have a 995. Is the 4Meg chip a significant improvement over the 3.3Meg in the 995? I have notice that many cameras are lens limited so that more pixels will not get a better picture.

2) How does the shutterlag compare between the two?

3) Can you post the picture of the factory?

Thanks. Keep up the good work.
1. Extra resolution is nice if you want to make bigger prints. The 4500's images make great 13x19" prints on my Canon S9000 printer. The larger image size also gives you more room to crop but still end up with a "big" image.

2. Shutter lag is such a moving target. It depends on what AF mode you're in for the most part. If you use continuous AF then it is pretty much pre-focused by the time you aim it at the subject. If using single AF the camera must do the whole focus routine when the shutter is pressed so it will be longer. In lower light or lower contrast situations the focus may miss and have to "hunt" and this takes longer. You must also remember that digicams have to calculate the white balance and set the exposure before capturing the image. There's a lot of factors involved in calculating shutter lag. Having said all that, I can't really say that the shutter lag is much different from the Coolpix 995 or 990.

3. The weather has been rainy lately and that school building (red brick) can only be shot late in the day or else the sun is not on that side. Our summer sun has moved a lot and there's only an hour or two when it is properly lit now. I will post one as soon as I can get one.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2002, 5:05 AM   #12

Default Still Waiting

It is not in Aust yet I know the $ rate is different but is there any difference between the 995 and the 4500.
Also has any one tried the Macro cool light, and any other of their lenses.
Most of my work will be close up of orchids often less than 1ins in dia.
that makes the flash totally useless.
Keith in Aust
keithgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2002, 4:35 AM   #13

Quote:
I have a 995. Is the 4Meg chip a significant improvement over the 3.3Meg in the 995?
I glance at sample pictures taken by 4500...
imho it uses CCD matrix with GRGB color filters... Just look at stairs on red-green march (DSCN0096.JPG)

Well known Coolpix 9xx cameras uses matrix with CYMG color filters which provides much more color-detalied pictures. So, 4500 don't have any benefits in picture quality, except a resolution.

Information: Sony wouldn't produce CCD matrix with CYMG color filters and resolution more then 3.3Mpixels... damn.

I prefer to see new compact body and cool audio features in camera based on good old Sony ICX252AK, but Nikon can't make it especialy for me...
Basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2002, 5:22 AM   #14

The 4500 arrived in Aust this week and sells at $1500 Aust $862.83 US
As you can see we pay more.
But it was worth the wait.
I will be picking up mine very soon.
The retailer also has a free 3hr session on how to use the digital.
Keith
Old Jul 20, 2002, 3:21 AM   #15

Default Nikon CoolPix 4500

Hi Keith,
Where did you get that price in Australia? I'm in Brisbane and the best that I can get is another A$100!!!
And you are really right when you say we get charged higher prices here - and the dealers say its because of the shipping costs. We are closer to Japan etc than the USA.
I have been deciding which DC to buy and had the choices down to Canon G2 (Black), Minolta Dimage S404 (Not available in Aus) and the Coolpix 4500.
I have swallowed the biggest lump in my throat you can imagine and told my wife (she who must be obeyed) of my choice and it's cost. The Nikon wins hands down. The reviews from people like Steve make the job of selection a lot easier when they write class reviews such as that.
I'll be posting photo results as soon as I've learnt enough NOT to make tooooo big a fool of myself.
Happy snapping

Danny
Danny Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2002, 3:48 AM   #16

Besides the proprietary battery and the shorter operational duration because of that choice I would have to say Nikon did a great job overall.

The ergomics are clean. The body is all alloy. We finally break the 3.x megapixal mark. There are 16 shooting modes, which in combination with AF or full manual settings gives you a wide range of shot options in many situations.

The controls become intuitive after a day, but I did need to read the instructions to figure out many options, menus, settings, etc.

Most important is the pictures are sharp and detailed. The camera seems to be well built and designed. One really nice move was the way they popup flash is redesigned and does not get in the way as much.

As long as it isn't stolen or breaks soon after a year I will be happy with this camera for 95%+ of my picture shooting needs.
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2002, 4:21 AM   #17

Default Melb Aust Price

That appears to be the standard price of all the major camera stores in Melb. It is as if they have combined to sell at a set $$$ It has already dropped by $100 since release.
Keith
Old Jul 23, 2002, 3:10 PM   #18

Default 4500

I'm thinking about buying a 4500. Is it as good or better than the 995 in indoor low lite pictures? harrymarlin
harrymarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2002, 10:38 PM   #19

When I compare the 995 with th 4500 in low light, full telephoto, on a semicontrasting object, the 995 will lock in focus when the 4500 does not.
ltheran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2002, 10:42 PM   #20

Forgot to mention that when I do get the 4500 to focus, both images are good. Also, at wide angle, both seemed to lock in focus. Am replacing my 995 with the 4500 for a host of other reasons, size being the main one. Considering the advantages of the 4500, I can carry a small flashlight to aid in focusing if necessary.
ltheran is offline   Reply With Quote