Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 9, 2002, 10:22 PM   #1

Default Photo Re-Sizing

I'm going to ask you peeps a very easy question, so please be charitable hehe.

Okay, if I go into Photo Editor and resize my files, currently 2560 x 1920, into something smaller, do I lose any picture quality by doing so? Is there such a thing as the "best" file size to store the pictures in? I'm talking about viewing the images on your monitor, but does this translate the same way when doing prints?

Thanks for your opinions, all.
pjacktpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2002, 12:50 AM   #2

You can resize - but not resample the pic. So be sure to uncheck this option! (for print only - otherwise you can resample as well)
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 5:52 AM   #3

Default resizing

yes you do lose image quality when you downsize your picture (no resample). HOwever your monitor can see the picture well down to about 72 DPi. Printing is much differient and more particular. The best printing is at about 300-350 DPI (dots (pixels) per inch) . Thus you want to use the full size file for printing.

If you want to send someone a copy to see on thier monitor then cut it down to a file less than 900K so it transfers easily.

Remember that file size in inches and DPI are two sides of the same coin. assuming an image of 25,560 pixels by 19,200 pixels, you can have a high DPI in a small 4 inch X 3 inch image file or a low DPI in a 19inch by 13 inch file. The same number of pixels are there, it's just how you spead them out. The file size is the same in both examples

Jim
Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 1:00 PM   #4

Thanks for the help, guys. In MPE, you have to click on a different pull down for re-sampling, so I shouldn't accidentally mess up my photos. But on the re-size dialog box, there's check marks for Allow Distortion and Smooth. What do these options do to the photo?

For storage on your hard drive, do you compress the heck out of your picture files, knowing you can bring them back to full size for maximum resolution, i.e., printing, in the future?
Old Dec 12, 2002, 12:56 PM   #5

If you once compress your shot - you wont be able to make them high res. again. DONT do that - unless your sure not to use them for anything else that PC wathing again.
I wouldn't do that at all. Who knows what the future brings ? In a few years we all will have plasmascreens and dvdplayers. What if you want to watch your pics on a big screen able to show high resolutions photos ?!! Then you will be sorry you compress them back in 2002/2003. That why I store my more than 15.000 pics on 180GB harddrives. I'm sure my kid will be happy watching them in 2030 -> :roll: :P :P :P

Just my opinion.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2002, 5:21 PM   #6

My take on the subject is to always keep your originals unmodified. If you want to show your pics on a computer screen, you can resize and rescale if you like.. keeping in mind that you really don't need anything greater than 72 dpi to show great on a monitor. Print is different.. the more pixels you have the better.

What I do is dump all my pics into a folder, then create a sub-folder in that folder called 'processed', in which I put copies of the originals that have been processed for display on the net. This way I keep all my originals and the processed pics in the same place. Then I dump them onto CD. CDs are a cheap place to archive your pics, and you can continually add to the CD until it is full.. then use a new one.
Pilaar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2002, 8:08 PM   #7

I have a question along the same lines, I have a Nikon Coolpix 2500 and if you are familiar with that camera it has a feature to send a small picture so it can be sent via email.
My question is what if the person I am sending it to wants to print it out or save it in their computer, can they expect the same quility as the picture straight out of the 2mp camera?.
My cousin sends us family pictures and we send family pictures to them, than we save them in folders in our computers.
We have a very SLOW dialup connection, so sending a small picture would help us a lot.
Since that camera is a 2mp camera, will the "small" picture be as good or will it be like a cheap VGA camera at that resolution?
Bill
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2002, 10:11 PM   #8

Default same things apply

if you send a small picture in email, which you should since you have a slow intenet connection, the pictures will be seen very nicely on the monitor. If they print them out they will not look as well as if you printed out the full 2 MP file size. Thus they can save them and look at them again on their computer screen and get a nice picture, but wont be able to print them as well as you can.

you only need 72 dpi to see great on a monitor, but at least 300 dpi to see a decent photo on the printer. That means you should save all your family pictures in full resolution and print them for other family members that want prints.

Does that answer your question
Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2002, 11:12 AM   #9

Yes Jim that answers my question, thank you very much, appreciate the information.
I am learning something new every day, guess you can teach old dogs new tricks.
Thanks again.
Bill
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2002, 8:04 AM   #10

Thanks to all for your advice...

You guys are too right about playing around with your original files. In trying to resize one for an avatar I want to put on a sportbike forum, I got it down to 150 x 150. Then when I went to reconfigure to the original file size...DOH! Luckily, I have Roxio's GoBack and was able to do an Austin Powers 10 minutes ago sequence. By putting my hard drive back in time, the file reappeared in the original size format. Whew! :lol:

Comment about how pics look on a monitor. On the sportbike forum, alot of people post shots of their rides, all of varying quality. I posted a few taken with the 5700 and they blow away most as far as resolution goes. Why is this? Because a 5 mp photo will look different from a 2-3 mp one? Or because of compression necessary before uploading to the forum site?