Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 8, 2005, 4:51 AM   #1

Does anyone know if there is a way to stop the SB600 pre-flashing so that I can use it to trigger another remote flash unit?

The remote flash triggers with the first flash it sees andthat is causing the8800 to under expose.

I tried the camera on full manual mode but that didn't resolve it.

Any workarounds would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks folks.
Bibico is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2005, 4:42 PM   #2

I don't know about the SB600, but I imagine it's the same as with the SB800. The flash will pre-flash when it's in ttl mode as it uses the information gathered from the preflash to set the output power of the flash.

If you set the mode to anything other than TTL for example M or AA it should just flash the once. And if you are planning to use multiple flashes you will probably be better off setting the flash strength manually. It will allow you to experiment with a greater range of lighting effects.

However I wish there was a way to disable the preflash on the CP8800. It's a real pain for when you are trying to trigger the SB800 off camera. You can only get away with a manual setting of 1/2 so it is able of flashing at the preflash and at the main flash.

swiss_toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 4:02 AM   #3

Thank you for that swiss_toni!

It never occurred to me that manual mode on the SB600 would get rid of the pre flashes - D'oh! I will try it that way. :idea:

Prior to buying the 600, I used the other flash (a Centon FG105D) in manual mode and it gave excellent results. It has a small forward facing flash as well as the big swiveling zoom head. The Centon appears to be more powerful than the SB600 and I thought it would make an ideal remote bounce flash.

Maybe now, I will get a result.

BTW, am I right in thinking that the Nikon speedlights are only triggered by a radio signal and are not capable of being triggered by flashing a light?

Best regards

Bibico

Old Apr 13, 2005, 7:22 AM   #4

I think that there are a number of ways of triggering a Nikon flash. It's all dependant on which mode you put it in. If you put it in SU-4 mode you can get any other flash to trigger it. I'm not sure if it picks up on the light from the other flash or the em spike caused when a flash bulb fires but it seems to work very well even if the remote flash isn't in clear sight of the main flash.

My CP8800 doesn't have any radio triggering capabilities as far as I know, yet I can use the built in speedlight to trigger my SB800 off camera.

swiss_toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 3:52 PM   #5

swiss_toni wrote: If you put it in SU-4 mode you can get any other flash to trigger it.

Hi again

I fear my SB600 doesn't have a SU-4 mode. I'll search the booklet again, but I think that is a feature of the SB800.

You are right about the CP8800 not being able to act as a master to remote speedlights. The D70 does it - and it also supports the BK mode (fill flash etc.) I'm still pretty happy with the 8800 although once again, Nikon couldn't quite stretch to letting us have all the features to get the best out of their ownspeedlights.

BTW, I tried manual mode on theSB600 and it worked a treat! OK, you waste a few shots setting up the flash strengths, but we got there in the end. Thanks again for your help.

Best regards

Bibico