Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

View Poll Results: CP5700 or Dimage7i ?
Nikon 5700 15 71.43%
Minolta Dimage 7i 6 28.57%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 10, 2002, 12:23 PM   #1

Default CP5700 vs Dimage 7i

I'm finally taking a real step up from my Fuji 2400. I'm now debating between the CP5700 and the Dimage 7i. I finally got to play with the CP5700 for a few hours and it seems like a truely terrific camera.

My problem with the 5700 lies in that there isn't a manual focus. With the low light focusing "problems" of the camera I'm worried that the AF system won't beable to get a lock. With the 7i, I can obviously focus it myself. I really enjoy shooting city scapes, fireworks, etc. Probably my favorite outing was Epcot and the Magic Kingdom at Disney at night.

I also have some other concerns. I really like the fact that the 7i has the different scene modes. I'm not super photographer by any means, which is another reason I'm upgrading. The fact that the 7i has the scene modes makes me feel that I'll beable to get terrific images no matter what the situation. I'm still not well learned on DOF, shutter, ISO settings, etc. Of course my 2400 doesn't have any of these manual features, which is why I want to upgrade. I'm sure some good quality time with the camera will help me get past the scence modes, however.

I really like the fold out LCD on the 5700 and being able to shoot in NEF file format also has it's merrits. Also, the CP5700 seems more compact and it fits better in my hand. Quite a few friends and family shoot Nikons and are pushing me the way of the 5700 because of the Nikkor optics. The 28mm wide angle on the 7i is a nice benefit though.

There is also the power issue. I know the Dimage really sucks the batteries down. (Although, to be fair the 5700 doesn't have a lite appettite either) I do have 2 sets of NiMH's but I don't think that will be enough for a full day of shooting. Also, I have 2 DigiPower 9000 LiIon pack's for my current Fuji which is terrific. I tested it last night on a 5700 and it works great. The 5700 unfortunately doesn't use AA's 2CR5's or the proprietary EN-EL1 rechargeable. So I'll take the DP9k's and probably a single EN-EL1 in my camera bag. Unfortunately for me, the DP9k doesn't seem to work on the Dimage 7's. So, more AA's to carry around with my in my bag and a big loss on the DP9k's. Pros and cons.. Pros and cons..

So what do you guys think? As I said earlier, I really like shooting night scenes. I also like shooting portrait photos as well. I'm not big into Macro so that's not going to play much of a part.

I just can't make up my mind. :? Anyone else have any opinions?

(I'm also crossposting this in the Minolta forum)

Thanks - Brandon
LordAthens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2002, 11:39 PM   #2

No comments? Gee, and I thought the Minolta guys were stuck up
LordAthens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2002, 1:31 AM   #3

Default decisions decisions

this is not easy to comment on as most only may know only one camera. However if you look at the reviews of both, one camera has some favorable comments about shooting in the dark. Read them.

You need to make up your own mind on what camera is best for you, none of us have a vested interest.

reread the reviews on both cameras and look for comments on low light photography. Then buy that one!
Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2002, 2:30 PM   #4

Default Nikon 5700 vs 7Hi

I only own the Nikon 5700 so I cannot compare it to the Minolta. I am extremely pleased with the overall quality and performance of the 5700. My only complaints is that it does exhaust batteries quickly and low light focusing especially when using the zoom is not very good. Other wise it is a great camera.

Glenn
gverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2002, 2:31 PM   #5

Default Nikon 5700 vs 7Hi

I only own the Nikon 5700 so I cannot compare it to the Minolta. I am extremely pleased with the overall quality and performance of the 5700. My only complaints is that it does exhaust batteries quickly and low light focusing especially when using the zoom is not very good. Other wise it is a great camera.

Glenn
gverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2002, 5:48 PM   #6

I too have the Nikon 5700, only for the last week however, the overall performance/quality is excellent. At first I was choosing between the Nikon 5700 and the Sony F717 ...I bought the F717 however, I returned it after 2 weeks as ( I personally ) found the color to be too rich (red are too read and greeens were too green), not as natural as the 5700.

In terms of the Minolta 7Hi I can't comment as it was N/A in my local shops.

Very few (if any) nightshots will be taken so that is a not an issue for me
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2002, 3:34 AM   #7

I'm also a CP5700 owner and sometimes takes nightshots with my CP5700 and its GREAT for that use. You may see some examples from my gallery here - if you like:

http://www.pbase.com/image/7846895

http://www.pbase.com/image/7799072

http://www.pbase.com/image/4506671

The Minolta 7i I dont have any night experience with!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2002, 8:40 AM   #8

I've tried both cameras.
My friend let me tried his Dimage 7i for a week. If you're looking fast AF camera in low light conditions, Dimage 7i maybe the answer

But..... finally.... after made a hard decision ... I bought 5700 two months ago.... and ..... I love my 5700 :roll:
The reasons I bought 5700 :
- 8x zoom lens, excellent for portrait or macro
- Nikon's ED Glass
- Flexible user setting, incl. manual mode.
- Excellent color reproductions quality

http://www.pbase.com/aurora5000/
aurora5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2002, 12:47 PM   #9

Yes I agree...

Mr. LordAthens beware of the compromises you will have to make, whether you choose one or the other.

For me it all comes down to how the photo looks! In this issue I think CP5700 is far better than the 7i, which is well known for it's noiseproblems in i.e skyes a.s.o.

But if that dosn't matter...the 7i offers a lots of buttons to push, play with and try out. ...but none to remove the noise. Maybe if yo buy the PS you can buy some plugins to remove it.

If you haven't already - you can read the reviews on www.dpreview.com , which is more detailed and deepgoing than Steves. (not to blame Steve, hes doing a fine job).
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2002, 11:40 PM   #10

I agree with Klaus about reading the reviews and making an informed decision, however, the reviews on Imaging Resource go into even more detail than DP Review. Imaging Resource reviews explore cameras in ways that the other reviewers don't. Check it out.

Imaging Resource
http://www.imaging-resource.com/

Rob
rsrock is offline   Reply With Quote