Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 14, 2005, 8:34 AM   #1

Hello All,

I bought two weeks ago a Nikon 8800. What I have noticed is that it cannot focus on objects that I have zoomed inand are let say 5-6 meters away. When I zoom out the clarity of the picture increases. On maximum zoom the sharpness is OK, and the VR works fine. Unfortunately I have taken few pictures today at maximum resolution and cannot post them for you to have a look at, as the files arelarger than the limitand point out what is wrong either with the camera settings or with me.

Tomorrow I shall drop the resolution and will post some pictures.

Appart from that it takes great pictures. I am pleased with the purchase of the camera.

All comments are welcomed.

Thank you.

Artful Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2005, 6:31 PM   #2

Use a graphics package like Adobe Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro to reduce the size and lower the resolution to get int within the 250k limit.

If you are NOT pleased with the performance take it back STRAIGHT away for replacement/refund.

The camera should focus - if it doesn't it no good to anyone.

Personally, I found the CP8800 totally useless when infinity lock was used - it just would NOT focus on infinity - it went back.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 12:28 AM   #3
Administrator

Artful Dodger wrote:
Quote:
I bought two weeks ago a Nikon 8800. What I have noticed is that it cannot focus on objects that I have zoomed inand are let say 5-6 meters away.
What were the conditions (inside, outside in broad daylight, etc.)?

You could be running into a problem where the camera can't "see" well enough to focus with more zoom. With the 8800, over 3 times as much light can reach the sensor through the lens at it's wide angle position, compared to full zoom.

Many models have trouble focusing at longer focal lengthsin less than optimal lighting (and most camera won't have this much optical zoom). ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote