Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 13, 2002, 5:08 AM   #1

Default Digital Video from CP990 through USB

I have searched for this, but with no luck. If this has been discussed, pointers to the discussion are appreciated.

Is there a way to download digital video from the CP990 when shooting in movie mode?

I suspect the movie capture is only to the on-board RAM for performance reasons, so maybe capturing the digital stream is not possible.

However, the data that updates the LCD display, is that available across the USB in digital format? Is there an isochronous endpoint (for those who know USB) available that could be tapped?

Yes, I have seen the pages with regard to controlling the camera from a PC, but didn't find anything on this topic. I also understand I can use the video out, if I have an analog input to my PC, but was wondering about capturing digital directly (reduce a d->a->d conversion.)

Thanks,
Steve
skorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2002, 6:09 AM   #2
NHL

Quote:
I suspect the movie capture is only to the on-board RAM for performance reasons, so maybe capturing the digital stream is not possible.
The final video data will be stored in flash, so you can of course download this file through the USB bus, but not in real-time with the CP990. Control through the USB port is probably possible, but is proprietary and probably not documented anywhere.

Also unlike a firewire connection that can have a guaranteed bandwidth, the USB protocol is bursty and would limit most full-frame video transfer.

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=954
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=996
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2002, 6:51 AM   #3

Thanks. I will check out the links.

Actually, USB can support time dependant data - via the isochronous mode. This mode is in the specification just for this purpose - low bandwidth video and audio.

There is real-time processing of a video stream - it shows on the monitor. If Nikon had an isochronous connection in the USB, it could stream this data to the USB port as well.

I do doubt that Nikon put in such a connection into the USB for the camera, but was asking if anyone had 'hacked' to see if it was there.

Cheers,
Steve
skorson is offline   Reply With Quote