Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 16, 2002, 11:24 AM   #1

Default number of shots with an EN-EL1 battery

given either a 128MB CF , 256MB CF, or even an IBM 1G MICRODRIVE, with flash on, and switching back and forth (50/50) between the EVF and the LCD monitior, how many shots can I get off of an EN-EL1 battery? how many shots using the optional MB-E5700 battery pack grip? I'm try to decide whether the cost of an MBE5700 is worth it or is it better to just go with 2 or 3 EN-EL1 batteries.

yes, I've considered the MAHA battery pack. I'm just not too crazy about a cord dangling that might get accidentally yanked off.
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2002, 12:59 PM   #2

Hi ! I've got a CP5000 but I think the problem is the same... too few pics with the EN-EL1 battery !!! When I bought the CP5K, I took immediatly a second EN-EL1 (expensive...!) because the MN-E5000 wasn't available at the time...
I used to take an average of 45 picures HI-res with one charge, wich is a problem if you're out for the day... even with 2 batteries, you won't do it, with taking the pics, reviewing, deleting, etc...
After a month, I eventually ordered an MB-E5000 and SINCE THEN I have been a happy photographer !!! Not only that with 2 or 3 pack of 6 AA's (1800 Mah) I could take more pictures than I could fit in my two 256 CF-cards, but also the whole feeling of the camera changed completely !!! The feeling of the set was (and looked) a lot more like my old 35 mm. SLR !!!
I still think now, after more than 6 months, that the MB-E5000 is THE BEST BUY that I've made !!! ...then I guess it'll be the same with your CP5700 !!!
Hope this help ???
Cheers,
Jean-Pierre
Geneva, SWITZERLAND
www.pbase.com/scherrer/geneva
scherrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2002, 2:26 PM   #3

Hi Jean-Pierre .

Had to say - great gallery you've got there!
Excellent nightshots.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2002, 8:14 PM   #4
NHL

Three EN-EL1:
3 x (7.2V x 700mAh) = 15.120Wh

Six NiMh 2100mAh AA:
6 x (1.2V x 2100mAh) = 15.120Wh

... So three EN-EL1 batteries equal the power of one set of 6 NiMh (2100mAh) that goes into the MB-E5700 that you can get now:
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3374
The camera will be larger and heavier which is good for some people (other might not like it), but then I believe you also gain and extra shutter release. It's definetly a buy if you plan on using a microdrive since the EN-EL1s definetly won't be a good match for this device.

Of course you have to trade off the cost of the MB-E5700 against the price of the EN-EL1s. The price of NiMh are now dirt cheap and you can get 4 Sunpak 1800mAh at Ritz for only $9.99.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2002, 11:51 PM   #5
Administrator

Check out Mizco's DigiPower DPS-9000, it's a high-cap battery pack that mounts under the camera via the tripod socket.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS...00/DPS9000.HTM

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 11:47 AM   #6

thnx Steve on the recommendation.
however, i noticed the dangling cable.
unfortunately, i'm a born clutz when it comes to things dangling and I know what's going to happen with that setup with me.

I think I'm going to go with the MB-E5700. now there's just a little matter of the batteries. so many to choose from.
thnx....
pixrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2003, 8:53 PM   #7

pixrus, I have the DigiPower DPS-9000 on my CP5700 and don't have any problems with the cable being too long. The cable is right about 5" long which is PERFECT for the 5700. If you mount the pack opposite of how IR has it shown, the cable is almost taught.

Here's a quick quote from IR;

Quote:
As an informal test, I ran a Nikon 5700 from it until it ran out of juice, with the camera set to its worst-case power consumption mode. (Capture mode, with the rear-panel LCD screen on.) Even with the camera running in its worst-case power mode, the DPS-9000 kept the camera running for nearly four hours. (!) This was an excellent performance, a good bit beyond my expectations for the unit.

I haven't done the same test with mine, but I'm rather curious to if they ran the test with the continuous focus on or off..

From personal exp. I can say that the DPS9000 lasts easily as long as 3 of my EN-EL1's. Possibly even close to 4.

It's a little bit lighter than the portrait grip. I love the extra weight that it provides, it really helps me steady my shot.

My biggest beef with the potrait grip is the 6 cell battery design. I've not seen many (if any?) AA NiMH chargers that can charge 6 AA's. 8 AA chargers are out there, but thats just extra weight and bulk to add to an already large bag. So, in that case you'd have to charge 4 batteries and then another 2 on top of that.

If I spend a full day out (9am-11pm at Disney for ex.) the DPS 9000 and 2 EN-EL1's will suffice.

Hope that helps with your decision.
LordAthens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2003, 9:26 PM   #8

Default Number of shots with elm1 battery

I have the dps 9000 and Iam totally happy. It 's like I have a different camera. I actually like the battery pack on the bottom, it gives me something to hold on to. The cord doesn't get in the way. I was uncertain when I read about it, but I have not had any problems with the cord.

Murray
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2003, 4:43 PM   #9

Default Re: number of shots with an EN-EL1 battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ws
given either a 128MB CF , 256MB CF, or even an IBM 1G MICRODRIVE, with flash on, and switching back and forth (50/50) between the EVF and the LCD monitior, how many shots can I get off of an EN-EL1 battery? how many shots using the optional MB-E5700 battery pack grip? I'm try to decide whether the cost of an MBE5700 is worth it or is it better to just go with 2 or 3 EN-EL1 batteries.

yes, I've considered the MAHA battery pack. I'm just not too crazy about a cord dangling that might get accidentally yanked off.

Here is our own test results:

Coolpix 5700 set to the following settings, set on a tripod, shooting the same subject over and over...

* Resolution / Fine
* Flash / Force on
* LCD / On continously
* Auto Focus / On
* Shooting Interval / automatically every 2 minutes

---------------
* Battery: Nikon EN-EL1 - 680mAh
* Total Time Lasted: 1 hour 28 mintues
* Shots Taken: 43

---------------
* Battery: VidPro Power2000 model # ACD-206 - 800mAh Li-Ion(replacement for Nikon EN-EL1, but at a lower price) at http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product_main/ide-acd.html
* Total Time Lasted: 1 hour 37 mintues
* Shots Taken: 47

---------------
* Nikon MB-E5700 (6 AA) Battery Pack at http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product...k-mbe5700.html
* IPowerUS - 2100mAh 1.2v NiMH at http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product...c301combo.html
* Total Time Lasted: 4 hours 1 mintue
* Shots Taken: 118

Pros:
The MB-E5700 when mounted, allows a better grip and feel of the camera. Also makes the camera look a little more like a 35mm SLR.

Cons:
More money for this setup, compared to the Digipower DPS-9000 below. If you don't care about the looks and the external cord that you have to use with the DPS-9000, then the DPS-9000 is a much better buy. Or just buy 3 ot 4 EN-EL1 or Power2000's ACD-206 replacement batteries.

---------------

* Digipower DPS-9000 External Battery Pack - 1800mAh
* According to Imaging-Resource.com testing, it lasted about 4 hours. Not sure exactly how the test was performed with what settings.

Digipower has discontinued (not officially announced yet) the DPS-9000 http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product...z-dps9000.html Once the stock is gone, that's it for now. As of this posting, we have 38 left in stock.
BugEyeDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2003, 11:14 AM   #10

How fast does it take for the AA's to recharge? I have about 5 EN-EL1's and I like them due to the fast recharge time unlike some older AA's I used to have that would take FOREVER.
SirSteve is offline   Reply With Quote