Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 26, 2005, 10:05 PM   #1

I want to buy a filter adaptor for my 8800 . I noticed there is defferent sizes , 58mm, 62mm , 67mm, and 72mm.For just lens protection what size do I need.:-?
PAPA RAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2005, 10:37 PM   #2

maybe I should have ask this question in the general or newbe section ?
PAPA RAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 11:45 PM   #3

I went with the nextphoto adapter formy cp8800and got a nikon 58mm uv haze filter for it.It works fine with no vignetting.
Old Codger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 1:17 PM   #4

I second that...I am using a 58mm with a 58 Hoya UV filter with no problems. I have also ordered the 62mm adaptor to use with the 5T macro lens, but that is all.

The only reason I went with the 58 over the 62 was because I already have a lot of 58mm filters...either will work just fine.
ebski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 2:29 PM   #5

Get the smallest adapter (58mm) that works without vignetting - as a general rule, the bigger the filter, the more expensive it is. Get Nikon filters, theyhave a larger surface area than most, and are less likely to vignette.

BTW, the guy that owns Nextphoto is a great guy and a gentleman. If you discover you have the wrong adapter he will gladly exchange it. I'd call or e-mail him if you need advice on the adapter.
rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 2:15 PM   #6

I also went with the Nextphoto 58mm adapter with a Nikon NC filter... no problems.

The adapter appears to be made of a softer material (aluminium?) than the filter ring so take care not to overtighten the filter or it will strip the thread.

Bruce
brucegarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 7:51 PM   #7

I would like to jump in here if its o.k. I also would like to get an adapter for my 8800. Which would be the most adaptable 58mm or 62mm or 67mm or 72mm? I really don't understand the sizes. I'd like to pick up different filters along the way, for starters, the uv and the polarizer. But down the road I know I'll want the special effects filters. I also want to try the diopers for macro close-up. (I hope I'm using the right terms). I would love some input on this. By the way....love this forum...never would have known about nextphoto.net if it wasn't for this place. Thanks:-)
starship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 1:30 AM   #8

Starship:
If you're going to want to use one filter at a time, the 58mm will likely be okay. If you think that you might want the flexibility to combine filters in the future, you might want to get a larger sized adapter to prevent vignetting. How much bigger? Might be a good idea to email Nextphoto and ask for a recommendation.
Nextphoto lists these kinds of recommendations for other coolpix models right in the product description, don't know why nothing is listed for the 8800. Anyway, shoot for the smallest adapter size that you can use for your intended purposes, 'cause bigger filters mean bigger bucks.
Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 6:03 AM   #9

Grant, thanks. I'm learning a lot here. I will email nextphoto for more info.
starship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 2:27 PM   #10

If you buy the Nikon lens hood, it has an adapter that accepts the hood and also takes a 67mm filter. That way you can leave the adapter and filter on all the time, use the included, larger lens cap and just attach the hood when you need it. The camera does nest in the inverted hood, although the instructions indicated it doesn't . I have a Hoya Super HMC UV(0) filter and believe it actually improves things. The salesman told my wife it was designed for digicams...I can't verify that is true.

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote