Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 21, 2002, 10:29 PM   #1

Default CoolPix 5700 Macro shooting with x2 telelens

Hi everybody! I bought a new 5700 a coupple of weeks ago and I am pretty happy with it. I bought it with a kit that had x2 Telelens with it. So, I've decided to do some MACRO photofraphy. In the manual I read that the camera can focun on very short distances, but how to do it with lens I am still not able to figure out, because when I switch the camera to Macro mode and select tele lens in the menue, the camera automaticly zooms to its maximum and I am not able to focus it on short distances. And, by the way, "zoom in" and "zoom out" buttons do not function at all when telelens are selected.

THANKS A LOT FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2002, 5:53 PM   #2

When shooting wideangle macro you can go in to 3cm for focus. Using telephoto macro you have to stay about 0,5 meter away (I have been closer than that). If you put an teleconverter infront of the lens you have to get far away from the object - using macro too. I guess it depends on the telelens. You have to make some test for yourself.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2003, 11:35 PM   #3

Also, about the zoom not going in and out - when you set the camera to telephoto, it zooms all the way out so you don't see the sides of the barrel of the telephoto. If you didn't tell the camera that you put the telephoto on, then the zoom would behave normally. But until you reached almost maximum zoom, the barrel of the lens would be visible in your picture - creating a cirle border around your picture.
SysUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2003, 12:57 AM   #4

Default Re: CoolPix 5700 Macro shooting with x2 telelens

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
Hi everybody! I bought a new 5700 a coupple of weeks ago and I am pretty happy with it. I bought it with a kit that had x2 Telelens with it. So, I've decided to do some MACRO photofraphy.
The added 2X telephoto converter will change the characteristics of the optical formula of the on-camera lens, and, as a result, you will lose the macro capability. Don't use the 2X converter when you are doing macro photography.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
In the manual I read that the camera can focus on very short distances, but how to do it with lens I am still not able to figure out, because when I switch the camera to Macro mode and select tel lens in the menue, the camera automaticly zooms to its maximum and I am not able to focus it on short distances. And, by the way, "zoom in" and "zoom out" buttons do not function at all when telelens are selected.
When you set the lens mode to telephoto, the firmware will zoom the lens all the way and lock the lens there. As a result, the zoom-in and zoom-out button are locked. However, you do not have to set the converter mode. Just mount your 2X converter, set the macro mode, and zoom in or out. Keep in mind that only a portion of the zoom range in the longer end can be used. When you zoom the lens out to certain position, vignetting will occur.

To do macro with your 2X converter, you can (1) use close-up lenses or (2) reverse-mount a short focal length SLR lens on your 2X converter. However, don't expect good image quality because, to the best of my knowledge, there is no non-Nikon 2X converters with good quality. Furthermore, good quality close-up lenses are no very cheap (e.g., > $40.00 per copy). All major camera manufacturers (i.e., Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Olympus and Pentex) have good quality close-up lenses.

Hope this answers your questions.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 user guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote