Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 8, 2005, 9:21 AM   #11

I developed the same exact problem that you all had while on a vacation a couple of weeks ago. I pretty much wrote the camera off, and started shopping for a new one. I then decided to search the web for information and came across this forum. I have to admit...after reading the messages about banging the camera against the palm of my hand, I was very skeptical...but what the hey!! I tried it...and about fell over when I achieved the same positive results. The only variation I made was that it took me about 10 whacks instead of 3...but maybe I wasn't hitting it hard enough.

Thanks a ton for the the idea...and thank you Steve for the Forum!!

cbhopps
cbhopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 6:23 PM   #12

My parents have had their Nikon 4300 sitting on a shelf for the past year due to the system error problem. Fortunately, I came across this thread and bashed camera on the ground a couple of times and now it works perfectly.

Thanks to all for posting your Macgyver-ish solutions!
hodgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 3:32 PM   #13

I had just taken my 4300 out of its case to take a picture. System Error. Did a quick Google, came across this website, saw the "bang it in your palm", hit it 9 times in my hand and presto, the camera works. Awesome. Thanks!!
mromero548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 9:39 PM   #14

:|
wow.. thanks to Bluecube. I faced exactly the same problem with my Panasonic camera and was already preparing to send to the service center. But, Im so lucky to stumble on this site after some searching at google.

I knocked my camera 3 times slowly. Same results. Lens zoom out and in back and showed system error.

I knocked my camera another 3 times harder. VOILA! IT WORKS ! :-)

and its been working since then.

Thank you Bluecube for your suggestions.

Cheers !
meglittlemeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 8:22 PM   #15

To say the least, when I first read this thread last night I was a bit skeptical, but I figured when faced with a repair bill of near $200 on 2 year old 4300, it might be worth a try. I'd rather take the $200 and put it towards a new camera. So I gave it a smack or two. Nothing...

tried again.... nothing....

now even more frustrated I hit it a few more times, but harder, thinking that if I break it, I can go buy a new toy... After taking the battery out, and putting it back it I flipped the switch and bingo!

Thanks for the posting... saves me a few buck before Christmas.

norcraftD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 8:45 AM   #16

After the prices came down considerably, I bought a Coolpix 8400 a few days ago. While I am quite pleased with the image quality, I am also afraid of that mysterious System Error. Evaluating many of the various System Error messages, I suppose that it has something to do with the lense retraction mechanism. That explains, why you get the stupid remove the lense cap message. The system perhaps thinks that the lense is prohibited by the lense cap. In reality, the reason is usually different. Probably some dirt or dust has penetrated the lense mechanisim and blocks it. This would explain many of these System Error messages during vaccations. It also explains why a fresh battery may be helpful. A fresh battery simply has more power to overcome the obstacle in the lense mechanism. Also it would explain why hit the camera against the palm may be a medicine against the unpleasant System Error. If I am right with my analysis, then the best prevention against System Error is to always check (and clean if neccessary) the lense tubes before turning off the camera. Usually when the lense rectracts dirt is pushed to the outside, whence in most cases dirt won't cause any damage, but in some cases it may penetrate the inside and then we may get into troubles.
It is really a pitty that a camera like the CP 8400, which seems to be robust like a tank, can be destroyed by dust.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 1:22 AM   #17

thank god i found this forum! although a bit too late it still saved me a bunch.

my sister used a nikon 2100 for over 14 months before it gave in. similar problem. lens out, power out & no way to power up again. changed new batteries with no result. nikon service wanted to charge RM400 (equivalent to approx. USD100) to repair!!

when i read this thread i was skeptical at first but then what the heck, gave it 6 smacks and it WORKSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

thanx guys & girls.
Mosaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 3:54 PM   #18

Hi,

I had the exact same problem with a Nikon Coolpix 880.

The tech in Halifax (3.5 hours drive away) told me the same thing - send it to Nikon for $200 minimum. I looked online and found that Nikon had a new system upgrade for the Coolpix 880 which was released in 2003. I upgraded my 880, and it works just fine - no palming or slamming!!!

I have the download site and the file stored if anyone wishes to see it - the upgrade is to system 1.1 instead of 1.0, and I can detail instructions as to how to discover what system version you have on an 880 if anyone wishes...

Bill
flyfishNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 9:57 PM   #19

Well, I was sitting on a ledge 1100' into the Garnd Canyon when mu Nikon Coolpix 4300 bit the dust (no pun intended) with the system error you have all been discussing. Fortunately, we got great sunrise pictures before it died...temporarily. Unfortunately, we didn't know about the high-tech palm smashing solution to the problem at the time, so we dd not get any of the sun setting. My husband hit the camera against his palm 5-6 times and it is now working...Now we are wondering how much damage the FONZ move has done to the camera and when it will REALLY die. At any rate, its working now, so we are pysched. Thanks for the advise, all.
Mugzie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 3:38 AM   #20

¬*I too am absolutely delighted to have found the answer to the system jam on my Nikon. Had had it in for repairs once at a considerable cost. Worked for about 1 week and then same problem. Nikon said that they wouldn't repair it under warranty because it had carpet fragments on it and had obviously been dropped. Cost to repair $300 Australian. Decided that was it¬* and started searching for answers. Hence after some searching read of the 'hit it hard' solution. The higher up people in Nikon Australia did not like this solution but I though what the heck and gave it a go. Now happily using my camera again.¬* ¬*[img]/forums/images/emoticons/jumping-smiley-004.gif[/img]
killarney is offline   Reply With Quote