Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Mar 7, 2006, 3:38 AM   #21

Verysame problem here in Italy, I was banging my head against the wall, guaranteee expired and all...
I googled "4300 system error lens" and landed on this forum.
WOW, WOW, WOOOOOOOOOOOOW! The issue was serious, it took 6 or 7 strong whacks but IT WORKS LIKE NEW!
Thanks, thaanks., thanks!!!!!! :|
bob_hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 12:02 PM   #22

Awesome. And completely whacked. We have had the camera about 3 years, once in warrenty it went 'system error', and we sent it in to have Nikon fix under warrenty. Then yestersay on the last day of our spring vacation, it did it again. I searched and found the pound it on your hand method and it worked. Took me about 15 whacks. I had it in 'scene' mode for the first 10 though. Happened to change it into 'A' auto mode and a couple of more whacks and it started working.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

p.s. Do you think there is a guy at Nikon who just opens the box being sent in and pounds it on there hand and sendsit back with a $300 charge....

pesposito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 11:48 AM   #23

I have a coolpix 4300 and also had the System Error problem. I was searching the web and found this forum (3 days trying to figure this out) and saw the first thread where the guy said what the heck and whacked it three times against his hand. I gave it three good whacks and still the problem so gave it 2 more really hard whacks and now it works fine again. I will never buy another Nikon camera again based on what I have read here today. Thanks for the information!
jielias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 2:16 PM   #24

I just picked up a coolpix 2100 in working condition except for the standard "lens error" or "system error" messages and the lens is parked in the body and dosen't make any attempt to extend. Before I start wacking, I would like one or more of you guys that got them working by wacking to tell me what was the orientation of the wack. Bottom first? An end? If soo, which end?
tswill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 4:52 PM   #25

Blue cube,* you rock my world.* saved me a bundle.* still shaking my head trying to remember why i bought this camera, but this whack it 3 times method did the trick for me
jason zurba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 8:07 PM   #26

I dont' know if you will see this or not or not bluecube. But i wanted to give you a big thank you . I stumbled across this site and saw you remark about the 3 smacks with the hand. I have a Nikon coolpix 880 which i had for almost 5 yrs just die on me in the middle of taking pictures at a sporting event. It said system error message and you could hear the lens grinding as it went in or out when powered up and down.

I tried the 3 smacks and low and behold it works. It still makes that noise but no more message and I am able to take pictures. I will be passing this camera along to my nephew , I have since replaced this with the Nikon D50 ( which is amazing). To think i payed almost as much 5 yrs ago $600 for the 880 as I did now for the D50 .

Happy picture taking everyone and thanks for the informative forum.
joegotalota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:23 PM   #27

Well, after reading all of the replies...I just HAD to register in order to post!

I have a coolpix 5000...I don't get a system error...it's just when I turn the camera on...it automatically zooms to it's [poor to begin with] 4x zoom...then the camera locks up. Annoyed to say the least...I was told it'd be $250 to fix it...So I said screw it...and bought a Panasonic DMC-FZ7...not in the 'class' of the NIKON...but it has a damn good 12x OPTICAL zoom! But I digress...

So I tried the "WACK-ME" method [hummm]...so far I'm up to 6-wacks...The "A" mode still wants to zoom/lockup...but when I put it in a custom mode; say #1...it'll take pictures! YIPPEE! I will continue to beat-it until I reach a "happy-ending"; upon which I'll re-post my results...[my battery is recharging]

I agree with the previous post...NIKON prolly has their own special "beat-it" employee! Does anyone ELSE hear Michael Jackson playing in the background, or is it just me????:|
homeblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 4:40 AM   #28

I also just registered to be able to post. Yesteday I was given a 4300 with the System Error problem. The camera had been dropped, apparently with the lens extended. First I tried the whacking solution - various strengths, in various directions, but no joy. Ultimately I dismantled the camera and discovered that the idler gear on the lens barrel had one of its teeth broken or sheared off where power was transfered from the gear train. However it is possible to take this out and reverse it, and now everything works! Here are the details of what I did - of course this will only work if you have the same fault!

First let me preface this by saying that this will, of course, invalidate any warranty, and opening up your camera, especially the lens elements, is likely to reduce its future picture quality and reliability. Do this only when you're resigned to it being an expensive paperweight, and have tried the whacking technique. Also, this will only work if the motor is turning but the lens isn't moving. At first the camera just refused to work, but after dismantling it a bit the motor tried to turn but with no effect, and the picture displayed on the back screen was very blurred, so it may not be evident that this is the problem. Mostly the screen displayed "Remove lens cap" and then "System error".

If you're going to do this, find as dust-free an environment as possible, and get a lid or something to keep the screws in. Use a very small Phillips screwdriver - bigger ones will just mash the screws. First, remove the memory card and battery. Then unscrew all the screws around the camera body, including the two underneath the battery cover. I found the most successful method to treat the left-hand (Video Out) end as a hinge. The top edge has two clips - a little downward pressre there may help them come loose, but there is no need to remove the "COOLPIX 4300" logo sticker. Note which screw holes had the long and short screws in for later!

Once you have the two case parts separate from the camera (you'll have to keep them very close by due to the short ribbon cables) I found it easiest to move the front case bit to be at right-angles to where it normally is, giving better access to the lens assembly. Around the base of the lens you should notice four black screws, one roughly at each corner. Remove these (the one below the flash is trickiest).

Now you have to remove the lens barrel. This is awkward, as the corner under the viewfinder has to slip out from underneath something else. A combination of a slight clockwise twist, slight move down (i.e. towards the base of the camera) and general fiddling worked it loose for me. The faulty idler gear (small, but long) was then visible. Lift that gear out - you lift the end nearest the camera body, with the visible axle. Then slide the plastic gear off the metal shaft and reverse it, being careful to keep the small metal washer on the shaft. While it is still broken, the gear it engages with is larger, and if it still slips it shouldn't matter as it is the driving gear now rather than the part being driven.

Then simply reverse the disassembly process. Make sure the cable leading to the lens barrel assembly isn't twisted. The longer of the four black screws goes beneath the viewfinder, and don't forget to insert the tripod socket before squeezing the two body halves together. And hopefully everything should work.

In my case, the barrel mechanism seemed rather stiff, so I added a very slight bit of petroleum jelly as lubricant. I would not recommend this if you've looked after your camera, as the barrel mechanism shouldn't be distorted. It appears that, in general, the lens mechanism is prone to sticking, and in my case at least, the point of least resistance was the idler gear. This at least explains why in so many cases Nikon simply replace the lens barrel mechanism in its entirity. But my method is cheaper...

Hope that helps someone - again, try this LAST, not first, and ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Al
DoctorAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 3:31 AM   #29

Thank you Bluecube! Add me to the list of another fixed system error (on my 4300)It feels like Christmas in July![img]/forums/images/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]
patmccarthy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 5:52 PM   #30

this method of repair will also work on early mg cars, unless it is raining or dark out. my coolpix 885 just did the same "system error" deal after i had charged the battery. i took out the battery and card for a couple of minutes while it was turned off but lense out and error message in lcd. put battery and card back in and the thing shut off. it worked again when i turned it back on with no banging.* there are some nice cameras out there for what a repair costs... j
jellero is offline   Reply With Quote