Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 23, 2006, 3:10 AM   #31

:-)
Hi Guys, The whack method works at Nikon Coolpix 2000 too!!! Thanks for the information!!!

(Unfortunately my Coolpix 2000 was dropped to the ground from about 1.4 m high and after that the camera lens did not work properly, plus the 'System error" appeared in the viewfinder.) First I gave the camera five good continous whacks and still the problem remained. So I gave it 4-5 more really hard whacks continously. The main direction was the front and the back of the unit, but I gave some whacks from other directions too.

After the two steps whacking maintenance I switched on and out the unit many times while I helped the lens barrel moving out and back by my hand applying moderate and sensitive force. During repairing I turned on and out the camera about 10-15 times, while I positioned the unit in different direction. As I experienced one of the most effective camera position was lying it on the back (with lens up) during the switching process.

For my great suprise that rough method was effective and the lens moving became more and more stable. (Certainly the 'System error' message also disappeared from the LCD!)

My Nikon Coolpix 2000 works fine again, besides I spared 150-200$ repairing fee!

Thanks again for the very useful and effective information!!!
lreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 7:15 AM   #32

Hi,

I would add this to the thread - the whacking is a good solution, but a much less dramatic one for some peopleis to download and install a new system upgrade for your Nikon first - even if your camera has a current one. This fixed my Coolpix 880 completely and sans whacking, and I still didn't pay the $200-250 the repair idiots wanted.

Just an historic note, though:

whacking has even been endorsed by NASA form time to time - on one of the lunar excursions a video camera went on the fritz and the astronaut applied "a pedal induced relocationto the faulty mechanism" and it worked fine;

translation: he kicked it!

flyfishNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:59 AM   #33

After reading this forum, I undertook whacking my Nikon Coolpix 3200 which was giving me a lens error, getting progressively harder, whacking it at the base where the tripod socket is, on my hand, then thigh, then knee, but without any success.

However, not wanting to whack near the monitor in case it should crack, I thought I'd give the lens itself a whack and see what happened;

I obviously started off lightly on my hand again, not wanting to break the lens, and first three whacks - it now works!!!!!

Hobbitbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 3:25 PM   #34

I have a Nikon CoolPix 4300 and got the System error others have mentioned above. I took it to three camera stores for advise. All of them told me it would have to be sent in for repair and the base cost would be $50. I found this site at thesuggestion of a friend. I figured "what the ^&*(" and gave it one whack in the palm of my hand. I was stunned when the camera started to immediately work perfectly.I think the problem started when I turned the camera on without removing the lens cap. This must have caused the gears to become misaligned. Thanks for the help. It saved me $50!
Mike001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 10:43 AM   #35

Turns out that after hitting on my palm a few times (ending up with a sore palm) I looked at the lense a little further. Turns out my lens got cocked a little bit and I pulled it out slightly and back in it went. So perhaps 'hitting' it isn't the problem as making sure the lens tip isn't tilted.

Stephanie
www.swcreations.net
swcreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 12:15 PM   #36
Administrator

mromero548 wrote:
Quote:
I had just taken my 4300 out of its case to take a picture. System Error. Did a quick Google, came across this website, saw the "bang it in your palm", hit it 9 times in my hand and presto, the camera works. Awesome. Thanks!!

Hmmm, it only took one smack with my 10 pound sledge hammer to solve my problem :blah:
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 1:56 PM   #37

My Coolpix 4800 suffered a "lens error" and the whack-the-palm method worked! Thanks to all of the contributors who posted messages that gave me the courage to try it. It saved me from sending the camera in for an extended warranty repair (through Mack Camera), with all of the attendant hassles.
charlesfunaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 2:12 AM   #38

Bluecube, you have another convert. I took my Coolpix 4300 to some nearby sand dunes on a windy day. I got some great pictures, but when I came home and tried to use the camera I got the "Warning remove lens cap" message. Of course I had my lens cap off. I tried many times through out the next few days to turn it on in hopes that it would work, but to no avail. I took the camera to my local shop and was advised it would cost $100 to $130 to clean it and hope that it works. I resigned myself to putting the money toward a new camera, and was tempted to disassemble it before giving up. I found this site and was amazed at all the testimonials to the "whack" method of repair. I immediately grabbed my camera, turned it lens down to my palm and gave it three firm whacks. Presto!! It now works. Thank you!! Thank you!!
Rumpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 12:31 PM   #39

I'm happy to say this thread just saved me a couple of hundred clams-- was getting ready to send my coolpix 4800 back to Nikon... it never occurred to me to use the old "tap and fix" repair method. It always worked well for me to unfreeze air conditioner compressors; who'da thunk it would work so well on a digital camera?

Thanks,
Peter
Denmarkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 1:36 PM   #40

Same problem, my husband whacked our dear coolpix 4300 many times to no avail. I come on to the scene, (note I am a small woman with small hands, he is a double -bass player with tough hands.) I said :give it to me, I amheavy handed. One , two three wacks and presto, Camera works beautifully.

Thank God for heavy-handed women.

Thank you blue cube

maritoca is offline   Reply With Quote