Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old May 13, 2005, 7:27 AM   #1

While on vacation in Niagara Falls, the 4300 came up with an error - "System Error" after informing me to remove the lens cap. Ever since, the screen displays "System Error" and does nothing. I have taken out the battery for 12 hours and most other obvious things. Can this camera be reset or is it indeed a paperweight now? Camera is about 20 months old with light use. The lens will go in and our but only after shutting off and turning on the camera. Any ideas from anyone?
ChilBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2005, 2:01 PM   #2

I checked the Nikon Technical Supportsite (online) for you.

They say that a system errordisplayed on the LCDgenerally indicates a problem where you will need to send the camera back to Nikon for repair. They say to remove and replace the battery and use a Nikon approved card to see ifthose actionsmake any difference, first.Obviously, you have already tried these things and it hasn't worked. I have read where others with the same system error message as yours have had to send theirs back.

If you want to talk to a Nikon tech rep via email go to their website (http://www.NikonUSA.com), click on digital cameras,click on Digital Tech Support,click on Nikon 4300, and then look through the data base of Q&A's that they have for the Nikon 4300. If you don't find the info you need, you can open an account and then send them your question(s) via email.I have done this numerous times and it has usually helped. They normally get back with me within three days.

Good luck.Hope you get your camera working again.
kmarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 6:17 PM   #3

This is exactly what I have done and the Nikon response was very short -- send in the camera for an estimate. It confirms what others have said after I posted this.

Needless to say, I am not impressed. My first Nikon ever dies within two years and sounds to be a paperweight. Do I trust them and buy again or go back to my other maker that starts with C(anon).

Thanks for the response. I think Nikon knows it has a problem and have taken the position of the car companies - sorry it is out of warranty but we have this new ...
Old Jun 4, 2005, 5:55 PM   #4

Well finally another decision to make. I was quoted around $275 Canadian to send the camera in. This is the most that the repair would cost PLUS the fee for the vendor to send it in ($25).

Checking eBay there are working Nikon 4300 cameras for less though some that are also damaged. Lots of parts and batteries though. I was also informed that the memory card I have is not compatible with the new Nikons. New replacements with similar features are around $400 (I paid $799)

My instinct is to flush the papeweight out to eBay and take the monies and buy another and it won't be Nikon. I was considering a used 5700 but discovered the dreaded "lens error" they were getting and reading between the lines indicated Nikon has a problem with their lenses - too much plastic.

So ends this saga. Good luck to other Nikon owners. Maybe sell them on eBay before they break.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 4:32 PM   #5

I had a Coolpix 880 several years ago and had this "remove lens cap" problem after about a year. Had to send it back for repair, I think it was at least$200 US. It has been working fine since then, even through rough use by my brother.

I found a web site that reports a similar experience:
http://www.ruwebit.net/article/81/chapter/4

Naively thinking they would have resolved this problem with later models,I bought a Coolpix 5000 about 2 years ago and now I'm having the same problem with this one. "REMOVE LENS CAP!" Removing the battery has not helped. I don't know if I'm going to bother getting it fixed. I might take a look at Olympus or Canon- my first 35mm SLR was an Olympus that lasted over 20 years with only one repair, and it still works great today.Olympus wasa little behind Nikon in getting out higher-res digital models in the beginning,but I think I've had it with Nikon and I'm guessing Olympus has caught up by now.
Linda LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 9:55 AM   #6

I had exactly the same happen to me with my 4300. I sent if for repair here in UK and it cost me about £90 to get fixed. This was a major consideration whenI recently bought a KM A200 over the CP8800.
Phil Pugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 9:52 AM   #7

I have a 4300 and got the same system error message with the lense hanging up. After trying everything, I gave up and hit the camera against my palm about three times with moderate force. The camera started working normally. I am now monitoring it for reliability. Looks like there is a mechanical flaw or intermittent mechanical condition associated with the problem.
Bluecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 7:10 AM   #8

Had the same problem with my Nikon Coolpix 4300 sent it to Nikon Uk and they wanted GBP160 just to look at it because it was 1 month out of warranty. pleaded and begged but they would not relent and sent the camera back unrepaired. I bought a new Cannon Powershot 5 and the nikon was sitting on my shelf for 12 months until I thought of looking for a local repair - came across this forum and see lots of people have same problem with coolpix and nikon.

Saw 'Bluecubes' posting and decided to try his remedy - put battery in camera and error message appeared, switched off and gave camera 3 whacks against the palm of my hand switched back on and 'hey presto'!! it works, am not going to jump for joy yet but have used it for a few weeks and all seems well. Thank you everyone

Now shall I look and see if there are any horror stories for Cannon powershot ??
D.P Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 4:21 PM   #9

Oh the power of the internet. I am at Steves doing research for my replacement to the above mentioned 4300 with "System Error". I read the above modification using the palm of your hand. I am amazed. 1 whack and nothing but 3 whacks and PRESTO a functioning 4300.Thank you Thank you Thank you. I was looking at its replacement and was settling to Panasonic or Powershot. I will have to try and relove my 4300 at least for a little while.Thnaks to all the brave souls who gave their cameras what Nikon would do and charge us repair monies.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 3:02 PM   #10

Bluecube, you are the best!!!The palm of my handis still slightly burning, but this remedy also solved my ‘system error'. I know it might only be temporary, but just the thought that I might get a few more pictures out of my Coolpix just made my day!

AntoineArt.com is offline   Reply With Quote