Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 23, 2002, 9:28 PM   #1

Default Flash for 5700

Anyone recommend a flash for the Nikon 5700? Mainly used for portraits and some low light situations.

Thanks!
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2002, 11:44 AM   #2

8) There have been so many posts about this that I got confused. I finally settled on an SB-50. If you do a search, you will find a lot of recommendations for the SunPak 5000 and 4000, and some for Vivitar. Somewhere, Steve had good comments on the 5700 with an SB-50 on a bracket, so I finally went with that. I haven't tried it out yet. I don't need a lot of power, mostly for fairly close people shots.

Merry Christmas.
nochance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2002, 10:39 PM   #3

I bought the SB-50DX and find it to be underpowered. I prefer to bounce the flash off of ceilings to get more diffused lighting. Even in small to medium sized rooms, the SB-50 just doesn't have enough.

On the other hand, it's a very compact flash that fits well on the 5700. So, if its output enough for your needs, I recommend it.

Gordon
Gordon_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2002, 2:14 PM   #4

Default Not a Lot of Power

8) I bought a Sto-Fen diffuser for the SB-50 because I don't think it will have enough power for bounce flash. I'll be trying it over Christmas. I rarely use a flash for other than outdoor fill, but I do shoot friends and family on occassion. I don't need to light a room, just a couple of people at a time, three or four max.

Have a nice holiday.
Old Dec 25, 2002, 5:52 PM   #5

Why not save some money and buy i.e SB-24 used! It's a fine and powerfull flash that goes very well with CP5700. Strong enough for bouncing light - i.e in ceiling. I own one and can recommend the blend.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2002, 10:08 AM   #6

Default Results from 5700 and SB50

8) I got some great pic at a little party we had on Christmas, using the 5700 with SB50. However, I first tried it with the Sto-Fen diffuser, and could barely see the image on the LCD. Maybe there isn't enough power to use the diffuser, or maybe I just haven't figured it out yet.
Old Dec 26, 2002, 12:35 PM   #7

Thanks for the suggestions and help.

The SB-50 is $320ish Canadian around town and the next step up is the SB-80 running at $530ish Canadian. As Klaus DK mentioned the SB-24, I'll have to check on the availability and price.
Old Dec 28, 2002, 3:03 PM   #8

I use an SB24 that I bought at McBains camera in 1985...
Works great... Just wish Nikon implemented focus assist and auto zoom...
Perhaps in firmware release... that was my wish for Santa but ...
Ah well

:lol:
murlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2002, 9:56 PM   #9

I take it from all the discussion about various flashes that we are all ignoring the advice on p 138 of the coolpix 5700 manual, "Use only Nikon Speedlights. Negative voltagees or voltages over 250 V applied to the camera's sync terminal....."

Has anyone had a flash caused disaster? I'd hate to be the one to ruin a perfectly good expensive camera using the wrong flash!
dgreenbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2002, 10:59 PM   #10

Hi dgreenbee,

Have no fear, I went all out and bought the SB-80 today...along with the MB-E5700 external battery pack. No need for anymore toys for a long time :-) :!: