Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 14, 2005, 12:08 PM   #11
Administrator

judell74 wrote:
Quote:
Just got a 5700. How would I know my firmaware version? Tnx!

Press and hold MENU while powering it up.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 1:31 PM   #12

Howdy all.

After doing a lot :rollf research, I finally landed on the Nikon 8800. I ordered mine last week, it should arrive in another few days. There are a lot of posts on here about the 8800 .

Going up to Sun Peaks for a family reunion at the end of the month. I hope to get some great pictures.

Anyway, I'll be sure to check back here and let ya know how it goes. BTW, I got my camera at BestChoiceDigital for $369 (after the $100 rebate). For AmEx people, they even threw in a 512MB card.

http://www.bestchoicedigital.com/sto...p;Item_ID=3392

Sean

Update: Uh oh, I read up on the site a bit and I am now worried that I made a big mistake. They notified me when I called back that it has been shipped 2 days ago and they cannot see the contents of the order?! until I sign for it at the post office. Sounds fishy to me. I did call and see what specifically came with it, and they said all accessories, and I ran off the list (lens cap, strap, USB, a/v cable, remote, li-ion batter, charger, etc) and they said that it was all there, cept the CD, guy (Keven by name) had no clue on that one and said "*expletive* if I know". I'll update on a new post once I get it to see what is there, but I may be eating about $60 for a restocking fee . Goes to show, ya can't just do research into the camera, but into the seller as well, which I didn't. Take heed and learn from my lesson.

srumelhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 1:56 PM   #13

I recently made up my mind to purchase the 8800 from Newegg on July 2nd.This was after looking at a variety of cameras and reviews for several months.It shipped on the 5th andI received it on the 8th. It had the 1.3 ver firmware. I updated the firmware to 1.7 as soon as I got it. The camera I have been using for the last 3+ years has been the Sony Cybershot F707.Since I have a bit invested in Sony accessories, lens, flash and memory sticks, I did look closely at the F828 (since it could make use of these accessories). A few things put me off of the F828, first was age (it has been available much longer than the8800), it only has 7X optical zoom and it did not have VR.The F707 served me well, particularly since I bought it for its lowlight and nightshot options. The F707 is now relegated to a backup camera.

I have spent a lot of time reading the manual (downloaded PDF easier to view than the included manual) and taking a lot of practice shots. I am very pleased with the camera and am very happy with my decision.

I do have a question though. Is there a way to see the total number of photos the camera has taken? :?

Thanks

jimoliverjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 11:31 AM   #14

digcamfan wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, all

Btw, $100 rebate extended (again) til 8/31/2005.

Pls, where can I find info on these rebates from Nikon? I could not find it on Nikon's official website! (I have bought my CP-8800 in Sweden, if it matters)

solitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 12:22 PM   #15

The post office situation is not really a problem. I and several of my suppliers use USPS Priority Mail all the time. The Post office does not reconfirm intermediate points like FedEx and now UPS. I like Priority because I can easily get delivery confirmation with out anyone needing to sign so I know the Post Office delivered it.

That said I got very excited when I saw your post about the prices at BestChoiceDigital - thought I might be able to up my pending purchase from a Nicon 7900 to the 8400 (my dream).

Unfortinatly when I looked up BestChoiceDigital on resellerratings.com they had a customer satisfaction rating of .07 and you should read the written reviews Hope you have better luck than they did. Looks like this is one of those "price is too good to be true places."
lwilson436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 2:31 PM   #16

Hi DCF ! Back after a while ! A hard drive meltdown lost all my saved stuff and I was too dumb to have ever backed up my files. So I drifted away and only recently sat back down and sorted things out.

Hope you are well . Any great adventures this summer ?

Regards, Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 1:36 AM   #17

Just received my 8800 Friday 8-12-05. It has firmware version 1.7 installed. Hey, can someone give me the link to info on this $100 rebate?? I had no idea!! Thanks.
Geoff
brainstormers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 4:29 PM   #18

Here's the link to Nikon's site which contains the PDF form (download) for the Coolpix 8800 rebate:

http://nikonusa.com/template.php?cat...roductNr=25523

Click on "rebates" on the right side of the picture of the 8800.

ankenycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 6:29 PM   #19

Thanks, Ankenycat!
brainstormers is offline   Reply With Quote