Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 23, 2005, 10:14 AM   #11

jack10 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for your reply.

SLR is too big and too expensive for me right now. I would love to get SLR, but I don't really need it now. When I will finally decide to get SLR, I want to get a good one, image stabilization lenses, etc. I can't afford paying 3000$ now and like I said, I don't need it now.

Coolpix 8800 looks like a good option for me, but 8800 has been around for some time now, so I'm just wondering if I should wait for a new one or get 8800 now.

Any ideas when can I expect 8800 successor?

Thanks
Well, you are the one that mentioned the expensive non-dSLR DiMage A2. And if you can afford that, you can get several dSLRs for about the same price, and they are not much bigger than the A2 you listed. And as for stabilizing lenses, since SLRs have removeable lenses, you could always buy a fancy lens in the future. Of course the lenses are where the real expense is. Many fancy lenses will easy cost more than the camera body.
But if the A2 is too expensive, which I think it is since it's price competes with true SLRs, then the 8800 is a good option. There are a lot of good options for non-dSLRs in the $300-600 range. And unless more people start following the A2, they won't have true manual zoom/focus lenses. Which is fine since for now that will severely increase the cost.
As for size, you should take a look at the Nikon D50/D70 and Canon EOS Digital Regel lines. They are significately smaller than the much more expensive Nikon D2X style cameras. But it is also true that non-dSLRs are much smaller than even the smallest dSLR.
The most annoying thing is that whatever you buy, you will see a camera that you like better within 6 months gauranteed. At least that seems to be my trend for the last 3 cameras.
xenon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 11:03 AM   #12

I don't want to buy Dimage A2. You said that I can't find non-dSLR with manual zoom, that's why I mentioned A2.

I agree, SLR isn't expensive, but IS lenses are expensive. Buying SLR now with some standard lens is not an option for me.

Now I need something like coolpix 8800.

xenon2000 wrote:

Quote:
The most annoying thing is that whatever you buy, you will see a camera that you like better within 6 months gauranteed. At least that seems to be my trend for the last 3 cameras.
I agree.
jack10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 11:17 AM   #13

http://www2.buydig.com/shop/basket.a...p;sks=NKCP8800,

$599 after $100 mail in rebate. I have purchased from BuyDig.com before and they are very fast and friendly. Often the lowest online price from a repsected website for new products. If anyone finds it lower from a good source, I would love to see a link. Of course in a month it will probably be $499 or something.
xenon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:11 PM   #14

Nice price

Thanks!
jack10 is offline   Reply With Quote