Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old May 27, 2005, 11:32 PM   #1

Anyone know if Nikon has plans to make a larger zoom such as a 12X model like the PanaZ's? Why have they not done so already?
picsgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2005, 4:32 PM   #2

Yet another question related to this one. Now that the price of the coolpix 8800 is dropping (it can be had for 370 post rebate on-line), does that mean an improved successor will be rolling out a week after I purchase it? (speaking from experience as a Nikon buyer of the past).
couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 10:46 AM   #3

Where can you buy the Nikon 8800 for only $370????? I have the D70 already, but seems odd the 8800 would be $370 right now.
xenon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 11:24 AM   #4

Hi Pics,

I'm not sure about Nikon, but Samsung is, http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05...ung_pro815.asp
shutterbug guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 12:31 PM   #5

About my post above -- fuggetaboutit. Checking resellers.com, I discovered that the dealer offreing it for so low a price is not held in the highest regard.
couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 11:34 PM   #6

Hi, I'm new here.

I've question. Is there any chance that the new coolpix will have a lense with a ring zoom?

I really like 8800 but I'm still holding because I hope thatthe newcoolpix will have a 12x optical zoom and a ringlense (I hate buttons).

Thanks for any info.

Jack
jack10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 11:44 PM   #7

Ring Zoom???? Do you mean Manual Zoom? (proper term)

Only true DSLRs (Digital SLR) will have zoom lenses with Manual Zoom. I had a FujiFilm s602z (great camera by the way, but now about 3 years old so I replaced it with the D70.) anyways, the s602z had 6x zoom with a ring on the front for "manual focus", but it is just a ring that controls the motor for electronic focus and so it's just buttons in the form of a ring. I have yet to see this "fake" ring used for zoom on non-DSLR cameras.

As of this post, you will not find a non-DSLR camera (such as the Coolpix 8800) with true manual zoom or true manual focus "rings". Sorry. The cost involved is not worth it for them to include such feature in lost cost "fake" SLR digital cameras.

Your only options for manual zoom and manual focus are cameras like the D70, D50, Canon EOS DSLRs, Olympus evolt, etc. Ones that have detachable lenses.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 11:58 PM   #8

Ring zoom.. yeah I know that's stupid, sorry.

What about Minolta Dimage A2? http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/a2_pg2.html

Is that a manual zoom? orring that controls the motor for electronic focus?

Old Jun 21, 2005, 12:28 AM   #9

You are correct, that one does have a true Manual Zoom lenses. But at the price level, you are being screwed out of compatible changeable lenses. For the same price you may as well get a real Digital SLR with changeable lenses, such as the Olympus evolt E-300 2-pack outfit. I see it all the time locally for about $899 with 8MP body and 2 lenses. At least then you get a real DSLR with a real optical TTL viewfinder. Which is really the defining feature of a true SLR camera.
The Dimage A2 you pointed out is still a fake SLR camera. The Viewfinder is an LCD and trust me, a huge difference between and LCD and actually looking through the lens with true optics. Especially if you do any low light shooting or night shooting. LCD view finders are a pain. Forget taking pictures of stars, etc.
Granted the A2 LCD viewfinder has a huge amount of resolution, but resolution in the EVF was never an issure for me, it the fact that it's a backlite LCD and does not work well in night scenes. Try taking pictures of the stars, moon, etc. Not only hard to see anything because it's backlite, but your eyes are constantly re-adjusting between light directly from the LCD and the the dark night. And the A2's solution to this problem is to turn the image B/W for the EVF only, and increase the gain, much light night vision. Better, but still not nearly as nice as true TTL (through the lens) of a real DSLR.
Also the A2 doesn't have a detachable lens and several other things. If the price was lower to compete with all the other non-DSLR cameras, then I would think it's definately the one to get since it at least has true Manual Zoom. But at it's current price, you may as well step into the real DSLR world. Canon DSLR EOS series "Digital Rebel" would also be the same price range to get into real DSLR cameras.
Trust me, a real viewfinder makes a HUGE difference. So if $800-1000 is an acceptable range for you, do yourself a favor and get a DSLR instead of a fake DSLR.
3 years ago, I got the FujiFilm s602z "fake" DSLR camera for $550 because fake DSLRs were well below $800 and the cheapest true DSLR at the time was over $2000 for the body alone. Now true DSLRs are offered with a lens for about $1000 and are more than 3 times better than the DSLRs of 3 years ago.
A2 is also slower to turn on and shoot than most true DSLRs of it's price level. Shooting speed is comparible. Quieter due to no true optical viewfinder, so no mirror. But again, I really think Konica Minolta hurt themselves by pricing this to compete with true DSLR cameras. If it was competing with other non-DSLRs like the Coolpix 8800, and others, then I would buy one right now. But it's not. oh well.
Thanks for posting the link though, now people can see the odd-ball in the bunch.
Sorry I didn't include the A2 in my original opinion. But the A2 is a poor example, it neither competes well against other $800-1000 "true" DSLR cameras, and it's priced too high to really compete well with the many low cost non-DSLR cameras.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:57 AM   #10

Thanks for your reply.

SLR is too big and too expensive for me right now. I would love to get SLR, but I don't really need it now. When I will finally decide to get SLR, I want to get a good one, image stabilization lenses, etc. I can't afford paying 3000$ now and like I said, I don't need it now.

Coolpix 8800 looks like a good option for me, but 8800 has been around for some time now, so I'm just wondering if I should wait for a new one or get 8800 now.

Any ideas when can I expect 8800 successor?

Thanks