Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 2, 2005, 4:38 PM   #1

Having purchased a coolpix in the past only to see it superceded by a better model at almost the same price, I have a question: I concluded that the 8800 is the model that best suits me, and I see on the net that it can be had for about 370 after rebate. but does the dropping price and the rebate signify that a new model is about to be introduced? Anyone heard anything?
couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2005, 7:46 PM   #2

I wouldn't trust any vendor selling the 8800 for $370. The 'safe' price from buydig.com is around $600 after rebate.

And yes, there will be another model replacing the 8800 eventually, and another after that, and another after that. You just need to decide when to jump in...when will the 8800 be replaced? Who knows really, Nikon doesn't let on what their plans are.
ebski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 10:46 AM   #3

Where can you buy the Nikon 8800 for only $370????? I have the D70 already, but seems odd the 8800 would be $370 right now.
xenon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 1:01 PM   #4

Tried today to re-check the price and discovered I could not get to the site. However, went to a CNET site that warns against using that very on-line outfit.
I see that another store, Royal, is offering it for 460 or so, but does anyone knbow anything about Royal?
Old Jun 6, 2005, 2:19 PM   #5
Administrator

couch wrote:
Quote:
Tried today to re-check the price and discovered I could not get to the site. However, went to a CNET site that warns against using that very on-line outfit.
I see that another store, Royal, is offering it for 460 or so, but does anyone knbow anything about Royal?
You're barking up the wrong tree. If you see a camerapriced much below what others are selling it for, you're asking for trouble -- all sorts of trouble.

For one thing, you can't *really* buy these cameras at the super low advertised prices, without a catch. For example,overpriced extras (batteries, memory cards, extended warranties, etc.), and you risk getting high, unauthorized shipping/insurance charges, etc. If you refuse the extras when they call to "confirm" your order,chances are the camera will never ship (or go to backorder status).

You also risk getting a grey market camera (one not intended for sale in the U.S.). Nikon USA will not service a grey market camera, even if you are willing to pay them for the service. Nikon Canada has a similar policy (they will refuse to service a camera not intended for sale in Canada). If you want to believe the salespeople about how great their extended warranties are on a camera Nikon won't service, fine. ;-)

Always check out potential vendors using http://www.resellerratings.com , and I personally avoid vendors with a small number of reviews (vendors have been known to try and pad their own ratings).

As for Royal. sroll down to the bottom of this page and start reading the reviews:

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1895.html

If you check the web sites of most dealers offering great prices, you'll usually find a Brooklyn address somewhere (about, policies, etc.). Some of the Brooklyn based scam artists also operate under more than one business name.

Do yourself a favor and stick with a reputable dealer.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 2:39 PM   #6

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE. AS A MATTER OF FACT, AFTER MY POSTING I VISISTED THE RE-SELLERS EVAL SITE AND GULPED AS I READ ABOUT ROYAL.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 9:38 AM   #7

Had very bad experience with Royal Cameras.
Buying a D70 (new at the time) cost me plenty - in time and Credit Card cost.
Camera offer rather cheap but thery piled on everything and charged it on the
Credit Card.......the fial bill came to over $2000.00 FROM AROUND 800.
After weeks of negative contacts. I finally returned the entire shipment, Lost
$300.00. Got the camera from Ritz for as fair deal. Very riskey to gobble
their advertised prices , especially a new arrival product. Readers dont fall for
the Cheap Trick.
wingslau is offline   Reply With Quote