Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 6, 2005, 11:33 PM   #1

Greetings,

I'm looking at the varous flash devices available and it's frustrating to try to do the research and understand what will actually work and to what level it will work. I see the SB 600 and the SB 800 out there as the latest Nikon flashes but it doesn't say specifically whether they will work with the 8700. I see in Steve's review of the 8700 a few more flashes which are sort of last years model and not as easily available. I guess I'm wondering if the highest end SB flash will actually work with the 8700. I'd appreciate any advice or words of wisdom on this. Thank you kindly.

Attached Images

gadlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2005, 10:37 AM   #2

According to the Nikon compatibility chart the 600/800 is not recommended for the Nikon 8700. The 80DX, 50DX, 28DX, 28, 26, 25, 24, and 22s are. With these flash units the camera's meter determines the exposure and controls the flash's output. Flashes power zoom head and other functions may not be supported.

Larry
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 5:20 PM   #3

Thank you so very kindly. I spent a good deal of time over at the Nikon site trying to find information like that. All the flash, all the stray pdf files and such it's really a non user friendly site. At least for me. Just the words 'nikon compatibility chart' are enough to send me to the google land of many answers. And of course, I did see where the 8700 wasn't specifically mentioned in the flash info for those upper level flash devices but it still left the question up in the air. And of course, I'm always timid about asking any sort of a question on an expert forum for fear of getting those 'read the faq' - 'that was asked and answered a hundred times' kind of surly reply that sometimes happens in some places. Thanks again. I do need the best flash I can get. I'm not going to get stuck 10 feet away from the picture I need to get and it's too dark cause of a weak flash.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 6:29 PM   #4

Glad to be of some help. You might want to try this site: http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/

Click on 5700 (the 8700 is almost the same) and read the flash data.A lot of really good information.

Larry
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:24 PM   #5

Go ahead and get the SB 800 speedlight. It will work fine on your 8700 and if you later decide to get a Nikon SLR you will have the latest flash. The SB800 WILL give you TTL on the 8700 but you will have to adjust the zoom on the flash because the 8700 does not offer that feature.

I have the 8700 and usethe SB28DX.

I also have the D100 SLR (flashhead will auto zoom on this camera.)

The SB28DX works great on these cameras but if I had A D70 I would sure want the SB800 speedlight. The SB28DX or SB80DX does not offer all of the latest features that the D70 or D2x will produce.

If you really have to have the 28DX you can buythe SB800 and I will trade you flashes. (Pun!!!!:lol::lol::|

Ronnie948
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 11:24 AM   #6

That is another consideration. The fact that I have the 'bug' and will get eventually get a D2 or the next greatest coolest thing when it comes out. Digital is the greatest thing to come along in a good long time and while I love it I will buy the first Nikon digital I can find that does away with the click to picture lag and there is that one thing I miss from my ancient Yashica SLR- the lens that I can reach right over and adjust my own self.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 12:32 PM   #7

Hello,
I have the SB-600 and am thrilled with it. It may be overkill in that the auto zoom isn't supported by the 8700, but what the hey. the TTL is. I wasn't prepared for quality of the pictures over the on camera flash. Very sharp... I also bought the flash with future cameras in mind, that it would be fully functional on.

Joe Hooker

hooker is offline   Reply With Quote