Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 31, 2002, 9:23 PM   #1

Default Nikon 5700 - Rotating images?

Having just purchased a Nikon 5700 I'm still learning the ropes but I can't seem to find how to rotate images from the camera, ie. turn portrait shots to be viewed the right way up for slide show presentations etc. Please help. Thanx if you can!
nikon5700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2002, 11:18 PM   #2

Default Use Edit Feature in Nikon View software

Right-click on the picture after loading it in Nikon View - select the Edit function. You can then rotate the picture clockwise or counter-clockwise.
Covey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 4:20 PM   #3

Default thanx, but ..... can I rotate the image on the camera?

We have a little Canan A30 Power shot and you can rotate the images on that camera to view them on the lcd so I presumed that with a $2k I should atleast be able to do the same. Do you know if it's possible?
nikon5700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 11:41 AM   #4

Default Not Possible In Camera

Not possible in camera. Sorry! If it makes you feel any better, none of the Nikon DSLRs do it as well. Don't know about the new Kodak DCS14n, but it detects when you're vertically oriented. Whether this actually shows the shot correctly oriented in the LCD preview or only affects the shot when downloaded is another story.
Covey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2003, 6:30 PM   #5

Just wait till you shoot a quicktime movie in 'potrait'... I can't find a cheap way to rotate them at all.
murlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 8:07 PM   #6

I shot a quicktime movie in 'potrait' by accident. Is there a way to rotate it? Will Quicktime Pro work?
mysecretworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2003, 10:48 PM   #7

Just use windows XP and right-click on the image, select rotate CW or CCW. Simple as that.
SirSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2003, 7:13 AM   #8
NHL

Quote:
Just use windows XP and right-click on the image, select rotate CW or CCW. Simple as that.
Don't you lose all the exif info this way if you save, I think this data is very valuable to a lot of people!

Quote:
We have a little Canan A30 Power shot and you can rotate the images on that camera to view them on the lcd so I presumed that with a $2k I should atleast be able to do the same. Do you know if it's possible?
Quality on a small camera is not as critical as a 5700, doing minor editing in a camera with limited processing power is not as efficient. Doing a rotation in the PC with its full 32-bit floating point is not only faster, but also reduce any chance of rounding errors. Most 5700 owners will demand quality of the picture rather than the convenience of flipping the pictures like on a starter camera. With more expensive dSLR and more processing power this could change in the future...

For a while in camera editing was a big deal: http://www.windriver.com/news/press/19991115.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2003, 10:19 AM   #9

I don't use the EXIF info but in that case, photoshop 7 would be a very good choice.
SirSteve is offline   Reply With Quote