Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 2, 2003, 6:41 AM   #1

Default Need advice on whether to buy the 5700

Just sold my 995 and am looking for new prosumer model. Looks like the 5700 is the best of the group (minolta dimage and sony F717) appear to be the only competition. G3 got good reviews but zoom is limited.

I'm an intermediate user and am an interested in the 5700 mainly for the zoom and 5 megqpixel size for large format printing. Have read about some of the limitations of teh 5700 but could really use some advice on the camera or the competition if there really is any. Thanks.
timeop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2003, 7:22 AM   #2

Default comment on 5700

I have had my 5700 for about three months now and am happy with it. The worst issue for me was the noise in low light but that hasnt stopped me from taking low light photos. Neat Image has
inexpensive software that works well.

http://www.neatimage.com/

I think you will be happy with the 5700.

Jim

my photos: www.pbase.com/jimskayak
Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 8:24 AM   #3

I have had my 5700 for about 5 months and the only few regrets I have are people who keep wanting to hold it and not having enough free time to use it. It follows me everywhere and I have managed to take some great shots.

I dont think you will regret buying a Nikon 5700. It was love at first click for me!
Sassalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 1:59 PM   #4

I have had my Nikon 5700 for about 10 weeks. I've taken some excellent shots. Cancun vacation, my sisters wedding with external flash. I am very pleased overall. Low light focusing is the only concern and no manual ring is the other. Otherwise great camera.
gverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 8:56 AM   #5

Got the camera yesterday. Took beach, sunset, palm tree pictures last night and and love this camera. Pics are amazing. Thanks for all your replies.
Old Jan 4, 2003, 9:20 AM   #6

Does the 5700 have a Panorama stitch feature? Can you hook up directly to your computer with the USB cable without downloading the software, as you can with the Olympus? How did you solve the filter attachment problem in order to protect your lens when on the beach, for example?
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 10:01 AM   #7

Don't know about the Panorama stitch yet. Maybe someone else knows. There is an Arcsoft Panorama maker that comes with it, but it may be just a 'toy'. If you have a Mac iPhoto will automatically open and download the images. Just plug and play. haven' tried the photoshop raw file import yet, though. Filter protection? I was so excited to get the camera that I used my jacket and kept the lens cap on. Not smart. Sort of cool that you can keep the lens cap on even when the zoom is extended.
Old Jan 5, 2003, 6:37 AM   #8

Default comment

Congrats on your new purchase! Glad you joined the 5700 club!

For filters you need to buy a filter adaptor from NextPhoto..at..

http://members.rogers.com/nextphoto/

If you like great outdoor pics try the Hoya Moose polarizing filter.

Jim
Old Jan 5, 2003, 3:53 PM   #9

Default Re: comment

Jim, me again. Thanks for the filter advice on the other thread. I'm assuming that the polarizing filter would just screw on the the Nextphoto filter?

Dano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ghiringhelli
For filters you need to buy a filter adaptor from NextPhoto..at..
http://members.rogers.com/nextphoto/

If you like great outdoor pics try the Hoya Moose polarizing filter.

Jim
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2003, 7:55 PM   #10

Default comment

yes your right there! If you get the 46mm then you need not only a 46MM filter but a cap as well. Get the cap with the leash that you tie
to neck strap or the camera. They have an elastic band. I bought mine at Ritz Camera for $2.00.

Jim