Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 2, 2003, 9:42 PM   #1

Default Telconverter or Zoom?

A recent trip to Mexico shooting Mayan ruins and wildlife with my Canon SLR has convinced me that when I buy my first digital I will need at least a 200-280 telephoto.

I'm struggling between buying the Canon G3 with a 4-times optical lens and adding a teleconverter and something like the Nikon 5700 or the Fuji S602Z (I don't like the EVF on the Olympuses) with built in zoom lenses.

Unfortunately, the Nikon and the Fuji lack many of the features of the G3 (e.g., AF assist, remote, powerful battery, panorama stitch). And WHY did Nikon design a camera without the ability to add filters?

My questions are: Will the quality of the G3 with a 1.5 teleconverter be that much poorer than the Nikon or Fuji? Will the 4MP capability of the G3 make up for that?
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2003, 10:24 PM   #2

Default comment

Teleconverters will not be the same quality as a zoon lens in your camera. Thus your best to buy a camera that has more zoom with
quality glass.

The Nikon 5700 does take a filter if you use the filter adaptor from
NextPhoto. I have a Hoya moose filter on mine for outdoor photography and love it. A link to the nextphoto site is below.

http://members.rogers.com/nextphoto/

good luck on your decision. make it a good one!

Jim
Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 11:13 AM   #3

Default Hmmm. TCs aren't too bad...

Bridge cameras like the 5700 can only accomodate TCs. Even DSLR/SLR users have to resort to TCs once in a while to get that additional reach. If you have to get the shot, use what you've got. I've received some sample shots with the Nikon brand matching TC from a fellow 5700 owner that aren't bad at all. He's a wildlife shooter and seems satisfied with the results. Detail is quite discernible and I couldn't find anything to complain about - it was mixed light setting with contrasty subjects. Note that if you're looking for pure telephoto reach, a lot of 3rd Party makers are out there - for the 5700, Raynox comes to mind - check out their matching TCs at:

http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digital/egnikon5700.htm

Note the loss of some detail though - the fur on the leopard is hardly noticable even though the picture is properly exposed.

I'll second the use of Bernie Hein's 72mm filter adapter - great product! Picked up some thin filters to go with it. Protects the relatively fragile zoom lens assembly and gives my left hand a place to land - almost feels like an SLR now...
Covey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 12:45 AM   #4

I haven't used any TC for the 5700, but I've been researching them. The example pictures for the raynox 1.8x not only looses the fine detail in the fur, but it also has troubles with light. The light areas on the rock are larger (and have less detail.) Same for the leaves in front of it. The time between the two pictures could have caused there to be more light, but I don't see it making that much of a difference.

I'd love to get a TC with more reach than the Nikon 1.5x (TC-E15ED.) But I haven't seen one I'd spend the money on yet. If you find a good one, please post info on it. The examples for the 1.85X raynox looked ok to my eye, but the picture is too staged. I'd want more interesting/varied pictures before I'd touch it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 9:16 AM   #5

Default Re: comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ghiringhelli
The Nikon 5700 does take a filter if you use the filter adaptor from
NextPhoto. I have a Hoya moose filter on mine for outdoor photography and love it. A link to the nextphoto site is below.

http://members.rogers.com/nextphoto/

good luck on your decision. make it a good one!

Jim
Thanks for the advice Jim.

Unfortunately, I guess this means you have to add the Nikon adaptor, then the NextPhoto adaptor, then the filter. A lot of steps, extra weight and cost. To make matters worse the NextPhoto site says that Nikon has now changed their adaptor and the NextPhoto one won't work with it anymore!!
Would I be better off buying the cheaper Fuji, which takes a filter directly?
Old Jan 5, 2003, 6:42 AM   #6

Default comment

No, not at all. You merely place the NextPhoto adaptor on your 5700
and add a filter to it. really quite simple and not very expensive for the 46MM adaptor.

You misread the comment about Nikon making changes. The change they made was to the UR8 as far as the 46MM operating inside it, which I dont do and see no reason to do.

All you need to do is buy the 46MM filter adaptor and put a filter on it. It took me all of 30 seconds to attach the filter adaptor. You have to hold the extended lens on the 5700 and press fir it on..

Nice and easy !
Old Jan 5, 2003, 9:56 AM   #7

I can add that you will get problems (actually you can't) using the UR-E8 with this attatchment on. Got the 46mm myself and a uv-filter in front. If you plan to - or use - the UR-E8 you will not be able to zoom all the way out - without taken the adapterring of first. A shame...but thats the way it is. So it could be you should think of your furture needs...(teleconverter/wideangle)!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2003, 3:47 PM   #8

Thanks, Jim:
I think I understand you. Have you experienced any problems with the adaptor slipping off, given that it's just a pressure fit?

By the way, re my earlier question, I know you said the teleconverter quality will be lower, but will the 4MP capability of the G3 make up for that?

And does anyone have any opinions on the pluses of the G3 (e.g., AF assist, remote, powerful battery, panorama stitch), which are not available on the Nikon?

Thanks again,
Dano
Old Jan 5, 2003, 8:04 PM   #9

Default comment

No the adaptor is a nice fit and it wont slip off.

No I dont think 4MP will make up for a poorer quality add on lens.
would be nice, but the glass quality is so important. Thats why I liked the ED glass with the Nikon 5700.

You can buy batteries with more amp/hours for this camera. I havent needed them. I usually dont use the fold out LCD screen
much and my batteries last fairly long.

Panorama stitch seems like a software issue.

well good luck !

Jim