Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 16, 2005, 10:40 AM   #1

Does this SUNPAK PZ4000AF, compatible with Nikon Coolpix 5700?

Here's a link... http://www.epinions.com/Sunpak_AF_PZ...040n?sp=iother
judell74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2005, 1:10 AM   #2

I was just looking at a similar problem for my 5700 and came across a useful web page that lists trigger voltages for many electronic flashes. (http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html)
According to this site.... Similarly, Nikon has specified 12V for their speedlight circuits... (though reader Steve Francesoni called Nikon.uk to check, and their tech rep said that his N80 was good to 250V — so there may be more complexity to this story). I've heard some rumours that some Coolpix models have been restricted to 5V!
They also list the Sunpak PZ4000AF as having a trigger voltage of 3.6 volts. This sounds safe at first glance, but read what Nikon says later on this subject --
Jeff MacWright found this post via support.nikontech.com:
Warning: Negative voltages or voltages over 250 V applied to the camera's sync terminal could not only prevent normal operation, but may damage the sync circuit of the camera or flash. Check with the strobe manufacturer for voltage specifications.
Thanks Jeff!
(This exact wording is also found in the manual of the Nikon Coolpix 5700)

So, it looks like to me that when they say "negative voltages" this means anything under 12 volts. The Sunpak has a trigger voltage of 3.6 which looks like it would qualify as "negative voltage." I think that you should find out a bit more about this from Nikon and/or Sunpak before you put your camera in danger.
Good luck!

granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 7:26 AM   #3

Too late for you post dude! I already bought a Sunpak PZ4000AF and it work almost perfect! I said ALMOST coz the Auto Power Zoom of sunpak, doesn't work with 5700. You have to manually zoom it but that's ok with me. The important to me is, it is working wiht 5700.

BTY: Tnx for you reply!!!
judell74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 11:05 PM   #4

Glad it's working for you.
Sunpak makes different versions of most of their flashes to be compatible with different camera brands, so probably the one that you got has been checked out okay for Nikon cameras.
Have fun!
Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote