Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:11 AM   #1
DCR

Hey folks!

I have a Nikon 775 that just yesterday started emitting a "System Error" upon powering on the camera.

Research leads me to think it is the lens motor, because I can hear it "whirring" but it will not move the lens. This must be connected to the rest of the start-up functions, because nothing works.

Does anyone know how I can actually test if it is this motor, and where I can get a replacement from? I imagine Nikon will charge me a substantial fee to fix this, so I was thinking about buying a used 775 from Ebay and parting it out.
DCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2005, 5:23 PM   #2
DCR

*bump*

No one has successfully fixed this little problem?
Old Aug 24, 2005, 2:15 PM   #3

I've just had this problem for the second time.

The first time was a week after the warranty expired, and I sent it to Nikon with a pleading note, they kindly gave it a clean and sent it back in good nick.

This seems exactly the same, but I'm guessing that even to take the cover off and blow air inside (or whatever they do) will cost more than a new 2mp camera, now I'm 18 monthsout of warranty. If anyone can suggest someone who does this sort of thing for a few quid (er, in Shropshire), I'm right in the market.

DCR - Don't suppose yours has been within a few miles of a beach shortly before this error appeared? Mine has, and I'm guessing that somewhere in that lens mechanism, there are a few grains of sand. It's certainly been treated pretty carefully (for a family with three small kids and a penchant for seaside holidays) since the first occurrence - but I suspect it only takes one grab from a kid's sandy finger and it's curtains.

Any ideas from anyone else?
Harris Tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 6:10 PM   #4
DCR

I almost forgot about this post!

I did take the camera apart and clean it, and I assume the little motor assembly that powers the shutter is burnt out. I can't find a replacment for it, but since then I purchased a Sony DSC-W7, but I would still like to fix the Nikon for a spare.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 1:51 PM   #5

Sharp move to do it yourself.. we were quoted £120 *just to accept it for repair and ship it back to Nikon* (ie before they even start work) at a branch of a well known high street camera store.

Needless to say we'll be spending only slightly more than that for a much higher-spec, brand-new machine.
Harris Tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 11:47 AM   #6

I have a friend who works at an authorized repair center for Nikon, Fuji and Canon. Email me and I will give you his info and he will fix your camera for cheap. This is a quick and easy fix for him, hes fixed DOZENS for me.
darntoothysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:37 PM   #7

Hi,

If the motor whirs but the lens does not move out, sounds like a gear may have come off or some teeth on one of the gears is chipped.

Mitch
aquaman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 12:26 AM   #8

I have had this problem and successfully fixed it. I opened the cam by carefully unscrewing all of the tiny screws. Then I took apart the two shells. I found grains of sand obstructing the lens motor gears, that I cleaned off with one of those small brushes found in camera lens cleaning kits. Getting to the grains loged inside the jammed gears required me to use a charged battery to activate the camera repeatedly until the lens started moving little by little until all grains of sand were removed and the lens could go in and out of the camera. After doing this, I can admit that this camera is not made for the beach. The casing has a multitude of openings that welcome unwanted particles.
maseguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:44 PM   #9

I would like your information on a person to repair my Coolpix 775. It has some sand jamming the mechanism so I get "System Error" on startup. Nikon want more than the cameras worth to repair it.
c.rosenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 8:08 AM   #10

Does somebody know if the suggestion of Nikon works or are some kind of palliative to make you calm for a while before you call them?

I have a Nikon CP8800 and it gives me the system error 2 since a week more or less and I've tried many times turning it on and off, changing the card...

Do you really think that the problem could be caused by a non "original" memory card?

Thank You in advance

Vincenzo

Pinz is offline   Reply With Quote