Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 28, 2005, 3:15 PM   #1

Anybody knows if this camera (Nikon 8800) has live histogram and manual focus assist (e.g. like on others cameras, when focusing manually an enlarged portion of the image appears on display)?
:?:
a_stefane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2005, 3:37 AM   #2

The 8800 does have a live histogram feature.
I'm not 100% about the manual focus assist, but I'd be willing to bet on it. My 5700 has a manual focus assist, so it seems almost a sure thing that the 8800 would. The manual assist on mine works by sort of outlining the areas that are in focus rather than increasing image size.
Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 11:14 AM   #3

Hi,
For the live histogram, just press the DISP button once. For the manual focus, I zoom all the way in on the subject, do the manual focusing, and then zoom out again. When zoomed out again the camera does not lose focus. This is very precise, but time consuming, nevertheless it' a solution. Hope this tip helps.
berkant_atay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 3:15 PM   #4

Thanks … I've just discovered the live histogram feature of the Nikon 8800. And the manual focus is working, but I don't understand the manual focus assist … I don't see any focus area outlined.
Generally I'm happy with this camera until now (I have a week with it), the only thing I really hate is the time lag between shoots (the "enormous" time to write on card).
a_stefane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 10:25 PM   #5

The time lag issue is one of the major gripes from users of digicams -- especially if they come from a film camera background. About the only way to significantly improve this situation is to pop for a DSLR. Shutter lag is much less and the sensors they use are larger and more sophisticated.
Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 9:47 AM   #6

The time to write your image away is a function of the speed of your memory card and the electronics of the camera. Not much you can do; except buy expensive very fast cards and you will still have to wait!. Most digital cameras in the 8800 price range have a "burst" mode where images are buffered internally - allowing you to get several shots in before you run out of internal memory and have to write to the card. Performance then is acceptable.

Shutter lag is a different proposition and varies from camera to camera. It is present in most film SLR's also - the mirror has to get out of the way before an exposure can begin. It's just that you have to learn to get used to it for your camera and try to anticipate. If you can pre-focus - so much the better, the shutter lag is generally below human reaction times (in the .1sec range for my KM A200 for example). The slow auto-focus is what usually causes the problem.
Phil Pugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 6:12 PM   #7

Hi,

Just want to add that:
1) the shutter lag of CP-8800 is about 0.2-0.3 sec (as reported by some reviewers), and it is not a big issue, indeed;
2) the long write-to-card time (about 6-8 secs for one RAW-file at full 8M res.) is much more annoying if one wants to shoot action really continuously, meaning smoothly, not just 3-5 frames each 2-3 minutes;
3) the only possible (but still half-way) get-around is not to shoot action in RAW nor even EXTRA Jpeg, but to choose FINE Jpeg instead, which takes much less time for writing one image and "sort of acceptable" for series too; yet, be patient to wait for some seconds between 5-frame series before CP-8800 allows you to do whatever you want next.

That's how it is...
solitary is offline   Reply With Quote