Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 30, 2005, 4:17 AM   #1

Hi,

I am looking for another spare battery EN-EL7. I already got a spare Nikon one, but I would like to find one of the cheaper alternatives. I live in Southern England.

Is the CP8800 going to leave the market again as quickly as it arrived? I wonder.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Greetings from

Frailea
frailea123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2005, 2:20 PM   #2

Hi ! I'm back after several months. I had a hard drive meltdown, lost all my "stuff" (no back up...the shame !) and just wandered away for a while.

I see you bought an 8800 ! I hope you are pleased. Mine is still working above my expectations and I'd buy it again...especially as it is now $200 Canadian cheaper ! My wife found me a Hoya UV filter that fits with the Nikon lens hood and I believe it improves the pictures . I have managed to download the 1.7 firmware, but tried unsuccessfully 4 times before remembering I had the same trouble with the 1.4. Tried on my newer laptop, and success first time !

Ihope you are well and enjoying some good close ups ?

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 5:50 PM   #3

Hi Steve,

Nice to hear from you again,I thought you had left. Most of the people changed, so I didn't visit very often after I bought the Cp8800 in March. Once again, after my lengthy research about it on the internet. I managed to buy it cheaper in our local shop, £520.

I do like it with all its faults, or mine because I am too lazy to read the manual:-). I t got it's first major outing 2 weeks ago in Cornwall, Lamorna Cove and surrounding area. I'll post a few pictures.

I don't use it much for close-ups, mainly for landscape (THE ZOOM), that was my main reason for buying it in the end. For Close-ups I still use my CP4500.

But it is realyy strange, for the latter you can get lots of different batteries, but for the 8800 only Nikon and that is difficult. I don't think it is very popular over here.

Here come some of my photos.

Greetings from Angie

1st the zoom
Attached Images

Old Aug 2, 2005, 5:51 PM   #4

and zoom in
Attached Images

Old Aug 2, 2005, 5:52 PM   #5

lamorna cove
Attached Images

Old Aug 2, 2005, 5:54 PM   #6

The Minack Theatre, Porthcurno
Attached Images

Old Aug 2, 2005, 5:58 PM   #7

and last but not least, a view from the top of the Minack theatre along the cliffs.

There are many more, altogether I filled 2 CDs with Photos in the 5 days my parents and me spent there.
Attached Images

Old Aug 2, 2005, 7:41 PM   #8

Hi Angie ! Thanks for posting the pictures. Great composition, as usual ! I really like the last one with the flowers. I may have been around that area as a child, but it seems like a lifetime (mine) ago.

I thought there was an off brand battery here, but never checked as I bought a voltage inverter so I can recharge using the original charger in the car.

I continue to be impressed with the camera, and have enjoyed the close up ability a lot. I'm surprised you don't seem impressed, but your old camera did take spectacular shots and I can see why you still use it.

I'll get around to posting some summer shots, but find I'm not in the computer throne so much in the warm weather. It's been very hot this summer in central Canada, but here on the Pacific coast, we had a cool late spring and early summer and it is only recently "warm", which is good as the usual forest fire season has not shown up. The vegetation is still green and lush, rather than burnt and dry. I take the dawgs down to the lake for a swim a couple of times each day and always am stunned by the beauty of the mountains and water.

I hope all goes well with you. It's nice to be "back" and I apologize for just disappearing !

Best regards from Canada
Old Aug 3, 2005, 3:14 AM   #9

Hi Steve,

Ihave used the close-up funktion, butI think I need to know a lot more about it. I just haven't got that much time. Can you believe I only found about the green flower for close-ups months after i bought it on another forum. I tried it, I don't seem to have as much success with it. In the end I bought a bogger camera bag and now take both cameras with me. In Cornwall though I used the CP8800 for the first time more than the 4500.

Can you by any chance remember the name of this other battery? How does your set up work then?

I have also been looking for storage (download cf cards) and viewing facilties, like the Epson P-2000 or the jobo giga vue pro. but the second sounds good but isn't available over here. I hope that changes as I might go on a trip to Southern Brazil next year.

Greetings from

Angie.

One close to close-up
Attached Images

Old Aug 3, 2005, 10:35 PM   #10

Hi Angie. If my memory is good from 6 months back, I believe the salesman called the battery brand "Optrex" or something similar. There wasn't one there at the time and perhaps never was !

I bought a voltage inverter that plugs into your car cigar lighter socket and converts the car's 12V DC to AC household (110 V AC in Canada) . You then just plug the Nikon battery charger into it and charge your battery as you would at home. They are only about $35 Cdn for the small one sufficient for this or a laptop.

The close up function is so simple ! I must admit it took a while to realize I didn't have to select through the menu each time, as there is the button on the left front of the barrel. With the pivoting LCD, I can take ground level shots easily and have been quite impressed with the results. I'm sure that if you use full auto, and the flower symboland just take shots, you'll be quite happy. I am !

Steve