Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 16, 2003, 12:31 PM   #1
njl

Default For CP4500: battery charger vs AC adapter

Hi,
I am looking to buy a Nikon CP4500. The online shop I am looking at offers two kinds of accessories, the EH53 AC adaptor and the MH51 battery charger with an extra ENEL1 battery. First question is, I take it to say that there is no AC adaptor included in the box?

And second, which makes most sence? Will it be better to have the AC adaptor, so the camera can run on the AC when indors, but also necessitating that the battery be charged in the camera? Or would it be better to have the external charger but not be able to plug in the camera?

thanks
Niels
njl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2003, 8:13 AM   #2
kyb

First, you won't need an extra battery charger. It is already included in the box. The european version accepts 100-240V AC 50-60 Hz, don't know about the american version. If you want extra power, get another accu or an accu-pack (Maha or other companies). The accu-packs hold much more power than an EN-EL1. From personal experience i can say, that the capacity of the EN-EL1 may vary. I can take about 180 shots (using P-mode, qualitiy set to normal), most with flash, a friend of mine with another 4500 can only do about 120 shots.

The battery can not be charged in camera. So an AC-adaptor is only useful if you want to transfer your files directly to your computer without any cardreader (heard rumours about problems when transferring files with low battery). Or you want to use the TV-out excessively.

And another advice if you have bought the camera:
Go around shooting as much as you can...

Greetings kyb
kyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2003, 9:08 AM   #3
njl

I should have included the info that I intend to buy the camera in the USA. I know the camera is different, and I have the suspicion that the accessories included in the box also differ between US and Europe - maybe that is part of the explanation for the difference in price?. I have not found an authoritative source to tell me what is included in the box in USA.

Niels
Old Jan 20, 2003, 11:39 AM   #4

njl,
I agree with kyb, but if you really want an AC adapter, buy a varible power with several different plugs. They are reasonable at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, etc. ($15-$20) and then you can have one abvailable for a lot of different uses.
Mine is by AMBICO and puts out 3.3,3.5,5.6,6.5,and 7 volts dc. with four different size adapter plugs, works great for the Fuji 4700 and the NKCp4500.
They also, make models with more range.
Sometimes I use it when set up in the house for shots out the back for extended periods.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2003, 2:11 PM   #5

Default Check this out

njs,
Check out this site if you want more power:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS...00/DPS9000.HTM

It's about the neatest battery pack out there and $69.00! No long cords to tangle up.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 9:20 PM   #6

I have bought mine in the US, I also know the European box. The accessories included in the box for the US are the same (except the power cord with the different AC plug of course)

The supplied MH-53 battery charger in the US version supports 100/240V 50/60Hz as, well :-)
You only need to replace the power cord by a European one
(2Euro only).

good luck, Volker
rendl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2003, 8:07 AM   #7
njl

Thanks to all of you. I ordered my CP4500 yesterday.

Niels
Old Jan 24, 2003, 10:23 AM   #8

Default CP4500

Niels:
I was going to buy a CP4500 on-line today and I was wondering where you were purchasing from? Is it on-line? I was considering buying from 645af.com at $468.00 but it seems low. I'm reconsidering as I write this.
Dan :lol:
observerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2003, 10:29 AM   #9
njl

I chose digitalfotoclub.com, with a price around USD 518. You can check the retailers at http://www.resellerratings.com/. For a check of approximate prices including tax and shipping go to http://www.imaging-resource.com/DIGCAM06.HTM , find the link for CP4500 - check prices, and input your ZIP.

HTH
Niels
Old Jan 24, 2003, 10:52 AM   #10

Thanks for getting back. I will call them to order mine. How was your experience with the sales person? Will you get it in time to qualify for the $50 rebate?
Dan :lol:
observerguy is offline   Reply With Quote