Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 1, 2005, 9:26 AM   #1

Recently bought a WC-E24 wideangle adaptor for my Coolpix E990. Was disappointed to see that it seriously degrades the sharpness of photos, as compared to the bare camera under the same conditions. The central zone is always somewhat fuzzy and soft, while the edges of photos are totally defocused, and often have noticeable fringeing on them.

As might be expected the defocusing is worse under low light/wide aperture conditions. It will take a just-passable photo in very bright outdoor conditions, but indooors or in reduced light it's useless.

Just wondered if other WC-E24 users could tell me if this is in fact the best results the lens is capable of, or is my sample faulty?
Selmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2005, 9:36 PM   #2

Selmak wrote:
Quote:
Recently bought a WC-E24 wideangle adaptor for my Coolpix E990. Was disappointed to see that it seriously degrades the sharpness of photos, as compared to the bare camera under the same conditions. The central zone is always somewhat fuzzy and soft, while the edges of photos are totally defocused, and often have noticeable fringeing on them.
The WC-E24 is a very wide angle lens, perhaps better than most if not all 0.66X types. Check to see if you have focus problem or mounting issue.

Quote:
As might be expected the defocusing is worse under low light/wide aperture conditions. It will take a just-passable photo in very bright outdoor conditions, but indooors or in reduced light it's useless.
Converter lenses alway degrade image quality somewhat. Stop down to about f/5.6 will help significantly. When shooting indoor, use a tripod.

Quote:
Just wondered if other WC-E24 users could tell me if this is in fact the best results the lens is capable of, or is my sample faulty?
It could be a sample problem. However, before making such a claim, please make sure it is not due to improperly focusing and setting (have you tried the macro mode), large aperture, had shaking, etc.

CK

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700, Panasonic FZ-10 and Canon A95 User Guides

shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 3:51 AM   #3

Just been doing a bit more testing, and found that setting the focus on infinity and using the smallest aperture possible gives acceptable results.

Perhaps I'm expecting too much, obviously the issue is that this is a converter rather than a genuine wideangle lens (which would normally be expected to give pin-sharp results)

Was thinking of upgrading the camera soon anyway, only was dismayed to see that while 12x zooms are common these days, almost all are pure telephoto, and none go below 35mm equivalent. I gues that's another example of 'specmanship' dictating product design.

Guess what I need is a D-series, but I don't fancy hefting it around, never mind the cost!
Selmak is offline   Reply With Quote