Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:59 AM   #11

That's wonderful! Thanks to this forum I may get my Coolpix 5400 camera repaired by Nikon for free. It just had black pictures. Stopped working for no apperent reason after 1.5 years, 875 pictures. Just shipped it out yesterday. Thanks again for the valuable information! :idea:
jed888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:57 AM   #12

I am very curious whether you got your 5400 repaired under this same service advisory. I just sent Nikon an email after reading this thread.

Were you able to get it fixed? And, for free?

Mine is exhibiting similar issues where the images from the CCD are scrambled-looking and purple with green parts in them (pic attached). The menu overlays work and show up just fine, though, on the LCD. The pictures themselves are affected by this issue, so I am suspecting the CCD is bad.

Here's hoping Nikon will stand behind their pro-sumer camera line. I've never mis-handled or dropped this camera, and it stays in a padded bag when not in use.

Attached Images

Maui_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 12:10 PM   #13

dammit they would not fix my coolpix 5400 for free. wanted $150+23 for repair. Its bulshit. I will sell it broken and look for a more reliable brand of camera. Any suggestions for the average user, something compact and efficient, quick and easy? For work portfolio, vacation, family use.
jed888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 12:21 PM   #14

Hi,

I saw your post on Steve's forum and I wanted to know if you managed to get your camera fixed from Nikon. My camera after 15 months has started showing exactly the same symptoms as yours. I can see old pictures just fine but anything new that I click is all blurrred and hazy and looks exactly like the picture you attached.

Any help advice is appreciated.

Vishant
vishant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 12:31 PM   #15

Some more details. The camera is a Nikon 5400 coolpix

When looking through the viewfinder or LCD panel, allI see are colored vertical "blinds" or stripes. The subject cannot be seen. The picture comes out mottled.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 8:34 PM   #16

Hi,

I have the same problem with my Nikon Coolpix 5400, after 20 months of working fine. New pictures are hazy or look like the subject of the photograph is behind 'horizonal blinds'! It almost appears as though the camera is not able to 'autofocus'. This trouble just started one day, that is it- not because it was dropped or any such thing.

Thanks for reading, and please send me any pointers that you may have on getting this problem resolved.

Kumar

:sad:

rkkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 10:09 PM   #17

Hi, This is a known problem with 5700 and there is a bullentin out about it. Nikon replaces the part free of cost. However there is no such bullention for 5400. Nikon US told me that they will evaluate the camera after they receive it at their service center and if they thinl its the same problem then they will fix it.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 9:01 AM   #18

My suggestion would be for all of us to send in our cameras for evaluation. If they can see that there are a significant number of cameras exhibiting this behavior, it makes our chances of repair at their expense much more likely.
Maui_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 10:54 PM   #19

Glassnerf -

I had the same problem with my Coolpix5700 and was also quoted a high price to repair. Luck came my way and I went onto the Nikon website and found out they had RECALLED the 5700 for the same problem you and I have.

I downloaded the Recall Form and sent the camera back to Nikon in Calif. In about 10 days I got it back all fixed and brand new again. Didn't cost me a cent.

Hope I've helped you.

Bedibye
bedibye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 6:25 AM   #20

Gentlemen, I have had the same problem with my 5400. I mistakingly read the service advisory 3100-5700 as meaning inclusive models. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Although Nikon accepts that the problem is the CCD they have returned to me a service order in the amount 150.00 plus shipping. I have called them to find out why they are not covering the 5400 and there is no explanation. The reply was 'Its not part of the servise advisory". I have faxed a response stating that I want my camera repair reviewed because of the fact that this is a known issue. I am really upset and believe I will not be purchasing another Nikon if this is the way they treat their customers.
susan61 is offline   Reply With Quote