Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 20, 2006, 3:16 PM   #21

All 5400 users in the U.S.A who have this CCD issue with their camera's should unite and approach Nikon. They might be able to put us off if we approach them individually. Surprisingly ..Nikon India seems to be fixing the 5400's that exhibit this problem. It is only Nikon USA that is charging customer the $150 + shipping for no fault of theirs. Maybe a small class action is in order :-0)
vishant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 3:27 PM   #22

Guys,
Just one more, I got the same problem with my 5400 two days ago suddenly with absolutely no misusage (bought for 2 years with light usage). No problem with playback, but the pictures taken now have horizontal white stripes across the images (like seeing things behind a blinds). It seems like it is a common issue with 5400 as well. Will contact Nikon and see how they stand.

tt777

tt777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 4:55 PM   #23

Hi Guys, An update with my camera repair status at NIKON USA. After considerable debate, faxes, emails and threat of lawsuit my camera (Coolpix 5400) is now being fixed at NO charge. Please don't give up the battle - if you have sent your camera in to be repaired, do not stop negoiating with Nikon and have them send the camera back - also do not agree to pay have it repaired. Fax Nikon Service Manager at 1(613) 531-7694 with the RE: Reconsideration of Repair # stating that other Nikon facilities in other countries are repairing the camera at no charge ( which they are!), that this problem is directly related to the faulty CCD module. On my 3rd attempt I let them know that there are many reputable Camera companies and I have the ability to spend my Photo money anywhere. I also have the ability seek legal representation to re-coup my costs of a camera that does not work because of their unwillingness to repair it. I also have the ability VIA the internet, radio and television to make sure the rest of the Camera purchasing world know exactly how Nikon treats existing consumers. Keep trying everyone.
susan61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 2:56 PM   #24

Yeah, me too. Purple and white pictures on the 5400. Pretty in a way, but not versatile enough for general use. I sent it back to Nikon in Melville NY who sent me a bill for $172.25. I called them about 30 minutes ago to express my extreme displeasure and James told me they would review it and to call back in a week. You folks have given me some hope, thank you. I will update this as more info becomes available. If anyone wants to start a formal something to try to get Nikon USA to acknowledge (that doesn't look right somehow) the problem let me know.
gregry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2006, 11:04 AM   #25

same thing with my coolpix 5000.
IkeEisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2006, 11:05 AM   #26

Maui_Boy wrote:
Quote:
I am very curious whether you got your 5400 repaired under this same service advisory. I just sent Nikon an email after reading this thread.

Were you able to get it fixed? And, for free?

Mine is exhibiting similar issues where the images from the CCD are scrambled-looking and purple with green parts in them (pic attached). The menu overlays work and show up just fine, though, on the LCD. The pictures themselves are affected by this issue, so I am suspecting the CCD is bad.

Here's hoping Nikon will stand behind their pro-sumer camera line. I've never mis-handled or dropped this camera, and it stays in a padded bag when not in use.
same thing with my coolpix 5000
IkeEisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 1:06 PM   #27

Hello all,

I received this email upon getting back from vacation:

"Hello
An update on Nikon Service Order #xxxxxxx. Your repair will be covered as a complimentary repair.
Sincerely,
Eric S
Service Relations
Nikon Inc. USA"

I haven't gotten the camera back from them yet (please give it a few more days to get to me before y'all jump on 'em) so we'll see. Hopefully they fix it free.
I took Susan61's advice on faxing the service manager, maybe that helped. Source of the problem seems to be a bad batch of CCD's from Sony (sound familiar?) but Nikon really should honor these - it's clearly a defective product and they're teh ones who chose Sony CCD's. Thought we were buying a Nikon, didn't we?
Thank you all for the advice and happy new year.

gregry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 12:45 PM   #28

2 month ago, myNikon Coolpix 5400 won't take picture. Display is blank while in any photo taking mode, no picture can be shut into the card. It seems no signal get through the lense. Display is fineshowing stored pictured and all menue content.

Is it a CCD problem/defect?

I just sent email to Nikon and am waiting for reply.
wawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 4:07 PM   #29

I live in France and I have the same Problem with my 5400 and Nikon ask me 200 € to repair, and in france we cannot obtain the headquater of Nikon .

We are several with 5400 out.

This model live two years.

Ginette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 10:30 AM   #30

Same problem with my coolpix 5400. Pictures taken came out completely black. Sent it to the service center last week and received a letter from them yesterday telling me the repair is not covered under warranty. The estimate for repair is $176 plus applicable sales tax and return shipping.
cornbus is offline   Reply With Quote