Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 10, 2007, 4:16 PM   #31

i got my coolpix 5000 repaird (sony ccd problem) for free in croatia- europe. and they have told me that nikon europe will repair ALL coolpix camera with bad sony ccd.

cornbus wrote:
Quote:
Same problem with my coolpix 5400. Pictures taken came out completely black. Sent it to the service center last week and received a letter from them yesterday telling me the repair is not covered under warranty. The estimate for repair is $176 plus applicable sales tax and return shipping.
IkeEisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 6:08 PM   #32

I'm having a very disappointing experience with Nikon.

One day in October I turned on myCoopix 5700to a black screen with a tiny thin white line near the top. Viewfinder the same. The camera took black pictures.

I found out about the service advisory. Filled out the forms, sent the camera in and recieved confirmation it arrived via UPS October 1st. I called late December to see what the heck was up with my camera. Low and behold, they have NO record of it.

None.

Being the scatterbrain I am I had misplaced the serial number. I was pretty upset truth be told.Nikon said they'd look for it.

Great.

I called back after 10 days (I had been assured they were 'investigating' the problem and would get back to my in one week at the most). The CS person was very helpful and told me he did indeed have record of my camera. Gave me the serial number and service order number. Today I get an email stating that diagnostics indicate that they problem is not consistent with the advisory.

WHAT?!

So, after Nikon having my camera for over 2 months I'm now told that it's not even covered.Even though the description TOTALLY fits. I'm sick about this.

Do I just keep fighting with them? Surely the fact that they had my camera 'misplaced' for over two months should count for smoething.

Any ideas?

Thanks... without a camera... Berta
bertalander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 7:05 PM   #33

Good news everybody. I have my nikon coolpix 5400 back from Nikon USA after a free CCD change last Friday.I purchased the coolpix 5400 two years ago.The CCD of my camera died before Xmas last year.I sent it out to Nikon USA with a letter and asked for free repair after two phone calls. It looked likeNikon USArealized the problem there with the ccd parts and acted to solve the problem.

Thanks for the information I got here and Nikon USA. I took a few pics today and it worked well.

Hope your guys can solve your problem smoothly.
williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 8:55 PM   #34

Williamson,

Help us all out and give us some details so we can fight the battle with Nikon. I have a 5400 and 5700 with black screens. I also have a 5000 with junked up gears........

By the way, I now have a digital rebel XT, problem free for 1.5 years.....love it!!!!
tsacch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 10:50 AM   #35

Wanted to thank you all for info on the service advisory about the CCD (all black with some lines when looking thru the viewfinder). I sent my 5700 to Nikon on 1/20 from Atlanta, got a letter that it was received and in process on the 27th, looked at the status...FREE GOODWILL REPAIR...looked today and the repair was completed and camera is due to arrive today! I bought my camera about 3.5 years ago and had an extended warrenty that ran out in September, so ..I am VERY thankful not to have had to pay for this repair. :-)
KKM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 12:10 PM   #36

Hello,

Newbie that I am, I'm reading too many comments and getting confused.

My Coolpix 5700 will not allow me to view that which I am shooting. I can see old pics on the display, but not what I want to see as I shoot... it's just a black screen with 1 or 2 lines across it.

If this CCD issue sounds correct, I'd be grateful to hear what I should do next.

Thanks to all,

SPAM1168
SPAM1168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 5:13 PM   #37

Hi, another newbie here.

I bought a Nikon Coolpix 5700 in Nov04. Recommended by 2 work colleagues whom purhased it about 1yr earlier.

All 3 of us had CCD replaced Nov06. 1 paid for it (b4 overseas hol in 2days time), the other found out about Service Advisory sofixed for free (had to pay postage there). Mine haddiff problem, 11 dead pixels. Noticedwhen tookphoto with lens cap on,downloaded pics, 3 major ones, zoomed in & counted 11. Then checked photos taken when new, there they all were, so existed since new.

Fixed under extended warranty (Nov07),they had replaced CCD.When I got it back 4wks later, noticed at least2 major dead pixels in viewfinder & in LCD (only 1 common 1), they said doesn't affect pics taken so doesn't need fixing, i said no way, needs fixing. Wouldn't get back b4 xmas if sent back again (baby's 1st xmas), so suggested i wait til near end of warr.

Yesterday, turned it on, viewfinder & LCD looked green tinge, colours off (like a negative) & then eventually started flickering & patches/sections across screen. Downloaded pics, they look more like a negative (yellow = blue, blue = yellow, pink/flesh/white = green etc).

Appears to relate to the Nikon Service Advisory. But my question is, it appears that all/most whom have had this problem have developed it after about 2yrs of use. Am I correct here? So one would assume it's after extended use. Mine developed it within months of CCD replacement. I can only assume that the store repairer replaced it with another faulty Sony CCD, who knows, maybe an old one, probably from same batch of faulty ones. Maybe even an older 2nd hand one?

Any ideas please?It's booked in for store warranty repairs again (same repairer apparently) & will ask them to fix the other dead pixels & replace ccd. When Nikon replace the faulty Sony CCD's, do they replace with other Sony CCDs? Is there a guarantee that they too won't develop the fault in about 2yrs? Just a few questions.

Thnx in advance
Attached Images

shell_l_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 7:17 PM   #38

I never checked to see if I could see the pics I had already taken, but the black screen with lines is what happened to mine. I went to the service advisory link that someone else posted, printed out the form, packed up my camera and sent it to Nikon, several days later received letter from Nikon that they were fixing it for free. I suggest sending it insured with signature confirmation..that way, if it gets misplaced somehow, you have the tracking and sig info. Got my camera back today...they replaced CCD and fixed white balance and all looks ok.

Good luck, I am very pleased with the service and attention I got from Nikon.

Old Feb 21, 2007, 11:24 AM   #39

Can anyone give me a general time frame to expect the return of my5700 to meif I send it with the service advisory form? If it is more than about 3 weeks then I need to give them a different address. Thanks.
Summer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 12:30 PM   #40

I got mine back within that two week period, and I sent it regular mail...others did not fare so well, so I would either send it express to get it back before 3 weeks or use your new address...maybe just wait till you get to your new add if you can and then send it. Good Luck.