Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 15, 2005, 2:32 PM   #1

So I have been debating 5mp cameras for some time and decided upon the Nikon Coolpix 5200. However, right before I was about to press the ‘buy' button, I looked at another photo only to discover I didn't see a ‘M' in the photo modes to take manual shots.

Is that option within the camera menus, or does it not have a manual mode? I was hoping to control shutter speed, light, and to set the camera to take photos in b&w, as opposed to editing them. Is that doable with this camera?

I really just need a solid 5mp camera, with a decent lens, zoom, and low light capabilities, with a little leeway to let me adjust how I take photos, and this seemed like the perfect one. I've had two cannons in the past and have been very disappointed with them. I have played with a few Nikons and they seemed to be decent cameras. I was wondering if the 5200 would give me control of the photos I take or if it is a beginner camera that will leave me frustrated?

Thanks!

*EDIT*
I am going insane over all these cameras. So many minute differences between models and brands. What would the best Nikon be for about 350$?

jdrh4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2005, 1:28 PM   #2

From what I've seen, NONE of the Nikons have a manual mode. But, the quality of Nikons seem to be quite excellent.

Hope this helped!
sh4rrky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 1:29 PM   #3

As for your budget, you can get Nikon 7900. That seems to be quite good. I'm actually trying to decide between the 7900 and the Canon SD 500!
sh4rrky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 5:12 PM   #4

Hrmm. My boyfriend had an early Nikon, I think a 3.1 or 3.2 MP, with a nice Manual mode.

Thanks for your advice, I'll look into those two.
jdrh4l is offline   Reply With Quote