Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 17, 2005, 3:17 PM   #1

Just bought this camera, I'm very much a "good digital camera" newbie.

I was attempting to take some night skateboarding shots last night and failed miserably.

In Scene mode <sports> I cannot seem to figure out the delay inthe flash in order to capture the action at the right moment......I am holding SR button halfway.

The flash appears to be just a fraction late each time.

When I am "on time" with the shot they were blurry....

Should I not be using the<sports> scene function when shooting at night???

Any magical tips would be appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Tim

Timinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2005, 6:10 PM   #2

The best advice I can give you is take it back and get a Digital SLR for action and land scape shots, it works great for flowers and stuff but thats all. I am selling mine I have had since Dec. Was wrong choice to take on a 3 month boat trip to the Bahamas.
Capt of Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 8:38 PM   #3

As with anything new, ' trial and error ' you just have to keep playing around

with it til you find the right settings. It can drive you crazy as well. I am still working

on it as well. Don't give up so soon.
photo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 8:30 AM   #4

That is the reason I purchased a D100 and could not use My 8700 at all for what I do. I do Pet pictures, Weddings, Motorcycles, Cars, Etc. As long as you are doing A still photogtaph the 8700 or 8800 is fine, But to do any type of action they just do not function at all unless you get very lucky. If someone is paying you for photogtaphs you can not depend on luck to get the job done. I did better with A 990 then the 8700 because the optical viewfinder on the 990 is much better for use on action photo's then the stupid digital viewfinder they put on the 8700/8800. If Nikon could produce a camera as good as the 8800 with an optical viewfinder instead of the stupid digital crap slow acting viewfinder that they now have they would have the almost perfect camera.

My guess is that the people at Nikon that design the "PS" type cameras really do not shoot many pictures in the real world of photograpy. They need to confir with the people that design their "SLR" cameras.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 11:13 AM   #5

I've been getting a little better at the "action" shots with 8800....here's one of my daughter in mid-splash. Good light, "Sports" setting, steady hand.

I'm still not real happy with it though, takes wonderrful macro and stills, but the action shots are definitely hit or miss.....having difficulty getting clear shots at full 10x zoom also.

Timinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 4:47 PM   #6

I have also been trying to experiment with my action shots. here is one of the better ones. I used the shutter priority instead of a preset scene. for more info on my settings, you can vist here:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_exif.gne...ext=set-777926

AtomicPope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 4:38 AM   #7

The best is to use the manual setting. But for ones who likes the shutter priority or aperture priority should try your best to set the shutter speedquicker than 1/60 for fast actions sports. If you find it dimmed, because of the quick shutter. Adjust the exposure by press and hold the +/- buttonwhile turn the dial accordingly (not the selection dial). You can also play with the white balance orISO to achieve the best result. It shouldn't be as blurry in many case. Night shot for sport is tricky, I would suggest to get an add-on flasher.
Nikon8800 is offline   Reply With Quote