Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 18, 2005, 8:12 AM   #1

I've been studying up on the 8800. One of my needs in a new digital is a hotshoe for use withmy strobe light. I have a little adaptor that I have been using with my old digital and the strobe, but I have read somewhere about the 8800 being compatible with ONLY some Nikon speedflashes. Can anyone tell me how to find out if I can use my existing adaptor and strobe unit with the 8800?

Thanks, Susan
--
http://www.kubanportraits.com
susnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2005, 5:30 PM   #2

susnyk wrote:
Quote:
I have a little adaptor that I have been using with my old digital and the strobe, but I have read somewhere about the 8800 being compatible with ONLY some Nikon speedflashes. Can anyone tell me how to find out if I can use my existing adaptor and strobe unit with the 8800?
It depends what we undestand by "compatible" . Dedicated Nikon flashes are compatible in terms of ttl , etc ... but you can use "adaptor" to fire external flashes or strobes, no ttl control of course, as to fire generic flashes:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/CP8800/CP88P.HTM
Quote:
The top-mounted hot shoe accommodates a more powerful external flash, either a Nikon dedicated unit, or a generic third-party one.
It could be easier If you give more precision about your adapter and strobe. It's important to know if the trigger voltage from your adapter (or your strobe via your adapter) is not higher than what th camera hotshe would allow.

You can use external strobe and generic in manual and auto mode
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote